Tests to consider?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Tests to consider?

Postby canada1 » Thu May 29, 2003 10:17 am

I was induced at 31 weeks due to pre-e. My bp was never too concerning (was averaging around 145/90) but I was spilling a lot of proteins and the amount continued to climb from the day I was admitted to the day I was induced (3 days later- 3+ on a dip to 5.5 g in a 24hr test).

I know that pre-e can be caused by underlying conditions such as auto-immune disorders. I am wondering what kind of testing, if any, I should request from my doctors. I have had no follow-up of any kind since having my son and would like to ensure that I have all the information possible before deciding on another child.

Thank you for your advice,
Stephanie
canada1

Re : Tests to consider?

Postby expert on call » Mon Jun 02, 2003 09:21 am

Some autoimmune disorders can be tested for, but it is often difficult to tell exactly what caused the preeclampsia to occur. In addition it is difficult to reverse once it starts. One way to help decrease your risk is to have your blood pressure checked prior to conception and have it treated if it is high. You may want to have your urine protein checked as well prior to conception.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Re : Tests to consider?

Postby expert on call » Mon Jun 02, 2003 09:22 am

Editor's note: We have asked several experts this question and will post the other's responses as they come in.

Expert on Call
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts