when to deliver

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

when to deliver

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Fri Jun 15, 2012 01:19 pm

Good afternoon...I am 36 weeks and 6 days pregnant with our fifth child. I experienced pre-eclampsia with my 2nd child and after weeks of bed rest she was delivered via emergency c-section at 39 weeks. None of my other pregnancies caused any BP trouble. However, this week I have experienced 3 episodes of blurred vision and headaches but I have only shown trace or 1+ protein in my urine. My BP does not alarm most caregivers because by normal standards it is not that high. The problem is that my normal BP is 90/60 to 100/70. My current BP (on hospital bed rest) has been between about 123-144/70-92 with one reading of 154/82. I am currently in the hospital completing a 24 hour urine collection but I will most likely be sent home when it is complete. I've asked for my Dr to go ahead with delivery but he refuses because of hospital regulation forbidding delivery before 39 weeks without more serious risk.

I am very worried and feel that the risk is already great enough but I am no expert...so I am wondering at what point should I worry and when should I push for delivery to ensure the safety of my daughter and myself? What result from the 24 hour collection should raise concern?

Thank you for your time.
The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient's medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re: when to deliver

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Fri Jun 15, 2012 01:19 pm

This may be resolved tomorrow at 37 weeks gestation when a diagnosis of mild gestational hypertension-preeclampsia is best served by delivery, not carrying the pregnancy further (ACOG recommendations from its Task Force on Hypertensive Complications of Pregnancy). This is one exception to waiting to 39 weeks to deliver in the absence of a valid indication, such as the one this patient appears to have.
The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient's medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts