Locked FAQ Members Login

Isoimmunization and Pre-e: Anne and/or a Doctor

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Isoimmunization and Pre-e: Anne and/or a Doctor

Postby full nest » Fri Jul 23, 2004 01:26 pm

I have isoimmunization antibodies against my babies when pregnant (like rh disease, but with a different blood factor). I've also had preeclampsia in both my pregnancies. My doctor said that the chance of my getting it again is high, so in my next pregnancy he will have me take vitamins C and E as well as a baby aspirin every day, and he will watch me closely.

Please, Anne and/or a doctor, can you tell me if taking baby aspirin every day will cause more of my antibodies cross the placenta, since my blood will be thinner? I know the POINT of baby aspirin is to make it cross the placenta better (no?), I don't want the antibodies crossing! And could the baby aspirin cause more mixing of maternal and fetal blood, resulting in more of an antibody response and a higher titer?

I definitely want to avoid having preeclampsia again, but I want to make sure the solution to one problem won't become the cause of another. Isoimmunization can be quite deadly for a fetus at a much earlier gestation than the typical time of onset for preeclampsia, so I'd rather err on the side of preventing problems from the isoimmunization. Naturally I would never ignore my doctor's advice - I'm up front with him about EVERYTHING - but I always like to arm myself with information before I talk with him. Thanks!

Cheers,
Mother Bird

full nest

Re : Isoimmunization and Pre-e: Anne and/or a Doctor

Postby annegarrett » Mon Jul 26, 2004 04:04 pm

I appreciate your confidence in me and I do so enjoy impersonating a doctor on tv sometimes but this question is far out of my realm of information. As an fyi for our readers of Ask the Expert--these posts are manually emailed to a rotating list of experts who volunteer their time--so they don't read these unless they pop up in their inbox. We will circulate this one for you and if we get an answer back we will post it. Thanks for asking--it is a good and interesting question and we will hopefully get someone who knows what to tell you.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Re : Isoimmunization and Pre-e: Anne and/or a Doctor

Postby expert on call » Mon Sep 13, 2004 01:06 pm

The medications prescribed by the doctor are reasonable for attempting to minimize this patient's risk for recurrent preeclampsia. To the best of my knowledge, there is no evidence or reason to suspect that the treatment to reduce preeclampsia risk will worsen the patient's isoimmunization problems.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts