Research re: link between pree & other problems?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Research re: link between pree & other problems?

Postby angelical » Mon Jun 09, 2003 09:57 am

Today I began discussing the possible link between preeclampsia/HELLP and other problems such as autoimmune disorders with my family doctor.

His question was this:
What kinds of research has been done into this? Are there papers, etc that we have access to that would explain what has been found or suggested?

And the research, have they been proactive or reactive studies? Is there antedotal findings that suggest links? Are the finding statistically significant?

Any information that you have, or places that I could get the info, would be appreciated. I really want to send my doc some info, since I'm lucky enough to have a doctor that is interested!!

Thanks!
Sharel

Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP
angelical

Re : Research re: link between pree & other problems?

Postby expert on call » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:57 am

There is a paucity of medical literature regarding long term complications from preeclampsia/HELLP. If you have no other medical complications at this point, there is a weak link between preeclampsia and the development of chronic hypertension. Most of the information is from a few classic papers from the 1970-80's by Leon Chesley.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts