Pelvic hematomas -- can they occur more than once?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Pelvic hematomas -- can they occur more than once?

Postby mrsmichael6300 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 09:31 am

I am 6w5d pregnant with my third child. I was 17 years old with the first, had PIH and superimposed pre-eclampsia during delivery. He was fine after the doctor got him out.

With my second child I was 20 and a whole host of things went wrong. At 7 wks I had PIH, then proteinuria, then GD. I was declared pre-eclampsic during delivery and spent the time on mag sulfate. I also hemorrhaged immediately following delivery due to a severe pelvic hematoma.

So far with this baby I am doing fine. I have been on hydrochlorothiazide since I gave birth to my second child and it seems to be cotrolling the HPT fine. My question is should I be high risk if there are no problems, and what are the chances of the hemorrhage occurring again?

I am a military dependent and due to low staffing at this time, my hospital has refused to see me until I am 12 weeks. Is this wise given my past history? They are also reluctant to place me on high risk status becuase of staffing, as well. Should I be more aggressive? I currently have fibromyalgia and controlled HPT.

Thanks,

mrsmichael6300
mrsmichael6300

Re : Pelvic hematomas -- can they occur more than once?

Postby expert on call » Fri May 23, 2003 02:40 pm

If you are hypertensive and with your obstetric history, you are high risk, and you should insist on high risk care. If they persist and refuse hint that experts have indicated that not to do so could make them legally liable.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts