Locked FAQ Members Login

preeclampsia and HELLP in future pregnancies

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

preeclampsia and HELLP in future pregnancies

Postby willimon » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:39 pm

by willimon (1 Posts), Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:39 pm

In my first 2 pregnancies I had no problems. My 1st son was born at 37 weeks and my 2nd son and 35 weeks. Both were completely healthy.
My 3rd pregnancy (twins) were born at 25 weeks and I was diagnosed with the HELLP syndrome. What are the chances of me having it again in future pregnancies? Do you think that it could have been twin induced and wouldn't happen again with a singleton?[?]

Malissa Willimon
willimon

Re : preeclampsia and HELLP in future pregnancies

Postby expert on call » Mon Aug 25, 2003 09:44 am

by expert on call (297 Posts), Mon Aug 25, 2003 09:44 am

It is hard to say whether or not you will be at risk of developing HELLP syndrome again in a future pregnancy. The risk is definitely increased in twin pregnancies, but other factors are also important in determining that risk. In any case, future pregnancies will have to be watched closely for early signs and symptoms of preeclampsia or HELLP syndrome so that your blood pressure can be managed appropriately.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts