Locked FAQ Members Login

Normal urine/blood, but symptoms...

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Normal urine/blood, but symptoms...

Postby allyrae » Wed Aug 20, 2003 02:34 pm

by allyrae (1 Posts), Wed Aug 20, 2003 02:34 pm

Hi! I was in the ER last night for signs of pre-e...high blood pressure (for me), spots in front of the eyes, headaches, pain under ribcage on right side, swelling in hands and feet, and gaining a large amount of weight suddenly (up to 5 lbs a week). However, once I got to the er, my bp was normal, as was my protein and urine. I was prescribed modified bedrest, but when my ob called today (I didn't see him in the er), he said that the results were perfect and I seemed healthy (despite the symptoms??). So, I have decided to stay on bed rest because I don't think things are ok. My question is, what are the odds that my symptoms will progress to pre-e on modified bedrest. Is this all in my head?? (I tend not to believe my doctor as I was also diagnosed with hyperemesis and dehydration, yet my ob didn't think there was anything wrong...)

Edited to add:
Before I was pregnant, my blood pressure was usually around 116/70, and in the 2nd trimester, it dipped to 96/58 on a lot of occasions. Yesterday (26w2d) I measured it and it was 148/98, but when I got to the hospital, it was 130/70 (after resting 25 minutes) and after 4 hours of rest on the left side in the er, it was back down to 96/58. My blood pressure has never been recorded over 120/80 pre-pregnancy or during pregnancy until yesterday.

~Ally
Little Brandon Michael is due around Thanksgiving 2003!

Prescribed modified bedrest 8/19 @ 26w2d
allyrae

Re : Normal urine/blood, but symptoms...

Postby expert on call » Fri Aug 22, 2003 01:17 pm

by expert on call (297 Posts), Fri Aug 22, 2003 01:17 pm

I understand your concerns. I am concerned about your hypertension. Did your symptoms resolve? If not, I suggest you call you OB and insist upon being seen by him/her.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts