Flying with a baby...

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
teenster3

Re : Flying with a baby...

Postby teenster3 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 05:22 pm

We finally made the reservations early this morning at 2:30 a.m.
I was on the telephone with my friend that is going till then trying to get the same flight & hotel....oh my gosh, it sure isn't easy to travel these days is it?
Anyone live in the Orlando area or close by?
This is where we will be traveling to.....I can't wait but I also feel kind of sick to my stomach now that I know I WILL be flying![:p]

bonnie
Forum Moderator

Postby bonnie » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 am

I suggest you speak with your ped if you have any concerns. For both of our kids, we were advised against flying that first winter due to RSV (and since our kids were both considered "preemies"). We asked if it made a difference where we sat, and were told no, the air is recirculated. However, after that first winter, all restrictions were lifted.

I tend to agree w/ Fiona and others. The best thing you could do is have everything handy in a "ziploc" bag so that diaper changes are easier. Second, I also suggest having a change of shirt for you, not just the baby (I learned this the hard way [:I]). Third, I suggest carrying in a 2nd "ziploc" containing any meds you might need for the baby and for you (i.e. tylenol in case you get a headache too [;)]). Last, I suggest a "new" toy for the baby. For dd's first flight it was a "teething blanket". It had different animals on it and every corner made a different sound. It could be anything, just something "new" that they haven't seen before. I pull it out once we're done w/ take off and it occupies them for a little while. . .

Now that ds is a little older, he carries his own backpack/carryon. It is stuffed w/ things he likes (i.e. crayons/books/matchbox cars) and things that I like for him (including a new "surprise"). It also has any "snacks" that he may want, since a lot of airlines are cutting "meals" on national flights (w/in US and even b/w Canada/US).

Since I do most of the flying alone w/ both kids, I try to minimize what I take, and organize it in such a way that I can reach everything with only 1 hand or in a location that if I need assistance it's easy to describe exactly where it is.

Most importantly, just go w/ the flow. . . there's no way to know how the flight will be before you take off. . . ds was a great traveller while dd isn't as good. . . but if I stress I only make it worse. SO, just try and RELAX and keep your goal in mind. You'll have a great time when you get there. HAVE FUN and don't let the "nerves" about flying hold you back.

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Tue Jan 17, 2006 08:38 am

Good luck in your decision! I also agree that it would be easiest to go when your baby is itty bitty, but would also advocate the "hands off" policy as Catherine mentioned. I almost flew with my DD but she was at the mobile stage and it turned out we didn't have to travel. Whew! It was not an adventure I was looking forward to.

akemt

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 17, 2006 04:30 am

I flew with my first when she was very small...I tend to agree with Laura: It is SO much easier to travel when they don't want down! ;)

If you are concerned about health issues but still want to fly, one suggestion I have would be what our doctor recommended the first few weeks with Emma (oligo baby, long, traumatic delivery for her at 37 wks on the dot): To not let strangers touch her in public, and if I was the designated care taker (I was bfing, so obviously!), then I wasn't to touch any public domain such as handles, doors, phones, counters, etc, etc with my hands. So, maybe a "hands to yourself" rule with some sanitizing wipes can do the trick for you? Personally, I'm not too worried about airline air having flow far too much in my life to begin with (I had a mileage card in elementary school - and used it).

Heh heh...and there is definately some truth to the idea that the more germs you are exposed to, the more you can withstand (obviously within reason and I wouldn't purposely expose a child for that reason). I say it is true because dh lived through things that make my skin crawl just thinking about it! And, I get food poisoning eating the same things he does and he's always fine. Argh! LOL But, I'm not interested in subjecting myself to what he's gone through [xx(][:0] to get that immunity! Okay, sorry for the side-track!

Plane 'ol flying suggestions: try to time it so that you are feeding the babe or using a pacifier durring take-off and landing to help with the pressure changes on the ears. Also, the noise tends to put children to sleep, so a feeding as you take off after a waking period just may do the trick! Warning: flights can get LONG if you're holding a sleeping baby the entire time. OUCH! Will you be flying alone? Other suggestions would be to bring extra clothes in your carry on for both you and the baby. And, if you can get a row to yourself (ask at the desk when you check in), I'd also bring a changing pad. You try changing a baby in the bathroom or on someone's lap! [;)] Oh, and if you are bfing, bring your own snacks and drink.

Best of luck in your decision and the follow through!

laura

Postby laura » Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:12 am

(admin hat off)

I say talk to your pediatrician to see what he or she says. I felt really strange about travelling with my first, but I think that my anxiety had more to do with more general fears overall over safety (not something I'd ever worried about before!) and now I wish I hadn't isolated myself that first year. I say it is far easier to fly with a 'itty bitty' babe than when those little buggers are mobile! Best wishes and luck, Tina, please let us know whatever you decide!

laura

Postby laura » Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:08 am

(admin hat on) Ok. I've made an executive decision to split this topic and remove the part that looks somewhat similar to a trainwreck. We're all grown-ups here and all persons involved deserve the chance to show their better side. The thread topic is valid; the original poster has a great question that she deserves well reasoned answers to.

The neat thing about the web is that a 'do-over' is not only possible but desirable. Let's remember that we're all working toward a common goal with only the best of intentions and have more in common than we don't. Please treat each other accordingly.

[shrugs] If not, we can just lock it again, and throw it into our little admin pit for scary/irrelevant/absurd threads. [/shrugs]

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:30 pm

Sorry if my opinion isn't popular, but I wouldn't take my child on a plane 1) until RSV season is over and 2) until she is a year old so she has had a chance to build up her immunity. I may be an overly protective preemie Mom, but I couldn't chance my dd health on a vacation. We recently had a very sick family member and I stayed home with dd for that exact reason.

teenster3

Postby teenster3 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:51 pm

Thank You, Thank You soooooo much!
You helped make my decision much easier....I am going to go for it!
This was my final time tonight to look & see if anyone had responded to my post. My decision was: if no one responded tonight then it wasn't meant to be & if someone did well (depending on the response) I would go for it. You can call it superstition or not but I thought I'd leave it up to those odds!
Thank you for those that responded, it really means a lot to me!!!!![:D]
Tina

thw75

Postby thw75 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 09:33 pm

A lot of peds also recommend baby benadryl (I think?) to help clear them up and make them sleepy on the plane. Don't know - never done it - but you may want to check w/ your pediatrician.

tafkap

Postby tafkap » Sun Jan 15, 2006 08:15 pm

Tina- Don't worry, go, have a BLAST! Wyatt will do wonderfully. : )

We traveled with our daughter when she was about 11 weeks old. Since then she's racked up more miles... well, let's just say we travel a lot. I think it's MUCH easier when they are younger, especially if you are still breastfeeding. We had planned on our baby being nearly two months younger when we traveled to Europe, but like Fiona, we had an 8 month old on our way to London. She did better than expected, although I had just weaned from breastfeeding and making bottles was a PITA. Most people on the plane were shocked when they saw a baby getting off, as she barely made a sound other than happy baby noises.

Ditto Fiona- you can watch the ear thing by having something he can suck on and it won't be an issue.

If your trip isn't super long plan on changing baby just before and just after you land, so you don't have to use the bathroom in the plane. Not all airplanes will have the changing station above the toilet (which, by the way, is where it is, just flip the latch and it will come down- I had no idea those things even existed).

Hope you have a great time!

Return to “Misc”