You would not believe the nerve of some

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
mamc2003

Re : You would not believe the nerve of some

Postby mamc2003 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:35 am

Sabrina,

A friend of mine had this happen to her, also. She paid with a credit card and left a cash tip. The waitress went back and added a tip to her CC. She noticed it the next day and called the manager. He apologized and refunded her money. I would be furious if this happened to me. It's stealing, plain and simple. And your boss is right, who else has this probably happened to and they don't even know it.

BTW, I don't know if this is in every state, but at least in LA/MS, even if a restaurant has a "mandatory" tip on parties over a certain number, they still can't MAKE you pay the tip. That is completely up to you, there's nothing that says you have to pay just b/c you have a certain number of people in your party.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:29 am

I did the same thing. I learned in college when I was a server that when you use a credit/debit card you put in an amount for the tip and total it. I had put a 0 with a slash through the 0, but not through the whole line. Well he must have added another 6 and a 0 to make it $6.00 and then retotaled it. I am going to ask to see the credit card receipt that he turned in too. I have my duplicate receipt with the 0 with a slash through it and the amount totaled down. It IS stealing because I did not authroize it. Trust me when I talk to the manager I will be letting him know that what the server did amounts to fraud and he can go to JAIL for that. The bank will make them make amends by me having to file a an Affadavit of Fraud if it goes that far. It is a small town and they are a local restaraunt. Everyone in town knows about everything else because it is so small. So if you write to the editor about it, the whole world knows. It was just the whole principle of the thing. Will $6 make or break me, no. But I was furious that he had done it. My first thought was how arrogant and then I got mad.

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:09 am

OMG I would not be happy. Um hello, isn't that like STEALING. What a jerk. When I use my debit card for take out, I always put a line diagonally through the tip part and rewrite the amount. BTW, how much of a tip did he give himself? Let us know what happens. If the mgr does NOT make ammends, tell them you are reporting them to the BBB and the states Attorney Gen Office.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Mar 07, 2006 09:54 am

Well they said a manager will not be in till 3:30pm? That's ok, I'll just be taking my almost 7 year old with me when I stop there after work and see them in PERSON. I am bringing a copy of the receipt to hand in to them as well. There is ONE place here that I can get good sweet tea that is freshly brewed - Cracker Barrel. We went there on Sunday evening because we had been out all day. I had FOUR glasses of it. But that's ok because that waitress kept the glass filled and it also had lots of ice. This nitwit that we had on Friday night put two ice cubes in the tea and filled dh's sprite with a ton of ice. What is wrong with that.

I just keep thinking fraud fraud fraud and how DARE he.

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Tue Mar 07, 2006 09:23 am

I'm with ya all the way, Sabrina! Go kick some you-know-what on that restaurant when they open! [}:)]

and PS (an interesting story about the tea thing)......having always lived in the South, I grew up the same way you did knowing about sweet tea and what to do with sugar, etc. When Meg went to graduate school in Virginia, she quickly discovered that she was now on the imaginary line between real sweet tea and the places that either don't serve sweet tea or have the fake stuff. It was weird, she said that she just had to learn which restaurants had good tea, because in that town some did and some didn't, kind of a "tea twilight zone", LOL.

Let us know how far into the next county you kicked that waiter, ok? [:)]

cara

Postby cara » Tue Mar 07, 2006 09:16 am

OMG!!!!!! That is INSANE. My husband would have owned the joint by the time this ordeal was through....

BTW, I feel you on the tea...funny thing is, in New Orleans, you only get unsweetened tea. So I grew up never knowing that sweet tea was even an option til I moved to Baton Rouge for college. After being alive for 59 years, my dad still thinks that he can make the sugar dissolve, tho, and puts like a thousand packets in his tea.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Mar 07, 2006 08:52 am

I was telling my boss about it. She said I wondered how many others he has done this too. There are a lot of people who don't check their cards and stuff, but I do.

shelbys mom

Postby shelbys mom » Tue Mar 07, 2006 08:45 am

GO get them Sabrina!!!!!!!!!!!

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Tue Mar 07, 2006 08:38 am

I would be livid!

missgamecock

You would not believe the nerve of some

Postby missgamecock » Tue Mar 07, 2006 08:24 am

people. Friday night, DH and I and the girls went out to dinner to a local restaraunt. It is the ONLY place here in NY that serves southern food. Specifically they serve food from the lowcountry (Charleston, SC specialties, thought I had died and gone to heaven when they opened up). I was really homesick for some good southern food. They are not cheap but you can get a reasonable meal there.

Anyway, we had one of the WORST waiters we have ever had. The restaraunt is two stories. So you can see what is going on below. We were placed on the second floor where we had a view of everything. Anyway, it took him 25 minutes to even approach our table for drinks (it was NOT busy). Then it took another 20 mins for the appetizer. He never asked how we were doing or anything. I ordered an unsweet tew (because in NY sweet tea is that fake can crap). I asked him to bring equal with it. Because if you are from SC you would KNOW that real sugar does not mix it cold tea. It has to be hot for it to dissolve. He brought me real sugar. I asked him to bring me equal again. He never showed back up. DH had to go and ask another server for equal because I was giving Sara a bottle. Then we had to get our own refills by getting up and going to the drink machine and asking another server to fill the glasses and then brought them back to the table. I had to ask for him to bring ketchup for Kirsten's fries. HELLO she has fries bring the ketchup out with you. I had to get up and get a set of utensils for Kirsten because we only had two. Kirsten counts as a person too you know. We asked for a kids cup for Kirsten. He said they didn't have any. Usually they take a soup take out cup and fashion one by punching a hole into the lid for kiddos. So she had to use a glass. Which she can do but you know how kids are. Our food took over an hour to get out to us. Because he didn't put in the order (and I saw him putting our order in) until we were done eating our appetizer. I had to go and ask a server for take out boxes. I had to get up and ask him for our bill. He spent much of the time talking with some girl at the bar area. Then he would meander back upstairs and drink at the drink machine talking with other servers. He never cleared any dishes. Never asked us how we were doing. The couple who came in 20 minutes after us were served long before we were and left long before us as well. Then when I asked for the bill was when he decided he would check on us, too late buddy. Well with kids you know they start getting ansy. We didn't leave till almost 7pm. We got there a little before 5pm. He was AWFUL.

I was a server in college and I know how important tips are to them. Some things are beyond a servers control, like mistakes that the kitchen makes, blah blah blah. Even if we have a bad or a new inexperienced server. I always leave at least 10%. Good servers get between 15-25%. This time I left 0. I felt so angry about our experience and the fact that dh and I had to get our own stuff while he had a good time, he didn't deserve one. I have never not tipped except this time. Even dh when I got in the car said, I know you always tip because you have been there done that, but he was truly awful and I hope you didn't. I said nope. I left 0 in the tip line and then totaled it out and signed my name on the receipt. Dh was pretty irritated too. We had thought about getting a manager, but decided it would be a long time before we went back and that we would request another server if we got him. Plus the kids were getting really aggitated from sitting so long.

SO, I go in and check my checking account this morning (I had used my debit card). THIS IDIOT GAVE HIMSELF A TIP. We did not have a large party so the tip would not have been automatic. There is no policy about a mandatory tip. He just thought he would give himself one and I wouldn't know about it!!!!!! I am pi$$ed. So I called my bank and they said that it was not mandatory even if the restaraunt says it is. Which it is not mandatory there. He also said what this server did constitutes as FRAUD! So my bank advised me to call the restaraunt and speak with the manager (I had told the bank why we didn't tip him and he said he wouldn't have done it either). He said that the restaraunt should immediately refund it and be apologizing profusely. If they don't return the money, then I should file an Affadavit of Fraud form. I have the receipt from the restaraunt. I can't believe it. This server was pretty arrogant too, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The amount is not alot ($6.00) but it is the principle of it. I shouldn't pay him for not doing his job. He should have paid me for doing his. As soon as the restaraunt opens I am calling and they are getting an ear full![}:)][}:)][}:)]

Return to “Misc”