How are you coping with grocery store / gas costs

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
rebeccac

Re : How are you coping with grocery store / gas costs

Postby rebeccac » Sat Jun 07, 2008 09:53 am

We are going to let our lawn grow taller so we don't run the lawn mower as much :)

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:09 pm

I'm turning off my gas guzzler when I'm waiting in line at the bank, the drive through pharmacy, the fastfood places, at really long lights. Not sure if it helps...but I've decided it can't hurt. I've cut our grocery bill in half since I started shopping at the local employee owned grocery instead of going to the chain grocery stores. The selection at the employee owned place is much larger, and the prices are SO much lower even for brand name stuff. I'm so upset that I wasted money for so long at the other stores. It's just as close to home as the other stores, and they take mfr coupons but not internet coupons cuz there prices are so low already. It's great.

amarah

Postby amarah » Sun Jun 01, 2008 09:41 pm

What wonderfull ideas, I just traded my nice gos friendly car in for a bigger one, and Im wishing I had gone w/ the hybrid. Gas here is now like 4.50 its crazy! Im not good at saving any money, and all these ideas sound great! Im gonna start couponing lol!

lucy

Postby lucy » Wed May 21, 2008 08:50 pm

I use lots of coupons, price match when I have time, and just try to get as many hours at work as possible plus theres a few online paid surveys and such I can do when I have time which since I started working hasnt happened.

browncow

Postby browncow » Wed May 21, 2008 02:20 pm

It's hard enough as a single parent to make ends meet without worrying about high gas prices but with that in mind: I live four blocks west of work/downtown, my car is premium only, and downtown parking is absurdly expensive. My solution over a year ago was to eschew the paid parking as offered by employer (which, in turn, was added to my paycheck) and walk to/from work each day.

The pay-off has come back in many ways: A) more take-home pay (every little bit helps!), B) daily exercise for me as the roundtrip walk is slightly over two miles (healthier heart and if I say so myself, nicer legs), C) I've not filled up my car since-believe it or not-last November!!! Work is 1 bridge and four blocks away, Connor's school is about 100 feet from our front door, so the sole driving I do is 1 mile biweekly to the grocery store!

Plus, not that I'm in the market for a new car but should I decide to trade, my vehicle has low miles. Like I said, every little bit helps out!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Sun May 18, 2008 12:00 am

We have blockbuster online. Also since I buy coke products, we redeem our codes at my cokerewards. Last year it paid for a all 4 tickets to Six Flags, I have gotten movie tickets, $75 gift certificates to blockbuster etc

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri May 16, 2008 04:33 pm

Great sites Erin. Check with your stores to make sure they take internet coupons. The local grocery store won't take them but Super walmart will.

We just signed up for netflix. I figured it would be good for when I do get pregnant and I am on bedrest. Also saves us money. We typically rent 3 movies a week at a cost of about $5 a movie. That's at least $60 a month. Netflix for 3 movies is $16.99 a month and no gas mileage to Blcokbuster anymore. Hey every little bit helps.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri May 16, 2008 02:20 pm

My MIL bought us a freezer chest for xmas last year. I keep it decently stocked (but not full)I think she paid about $150 on it and its not the large one but not the Walmart small one (so medium sized).

I used to get strange looks when I stocked up, even from the cashiers, but not anymore.. the looks usually evaporate after the finish ringing me up hehe.

Now that Walgreens has gone all online for their rebates, it makes that program even more attractive.

Also you can print coupons off the internet at several cites..

www.coupons.com
www.smartsource.com
www.eversave.com
www.coolsavings.com
www.redplum.com

Also if you have favorite brands you can check out their websites for emails and coupons (I get tons from pillsbury and better crocker). Also some places if you call they will send you free coupons or will put you on a mailing list for coupons. My kids like lugi italian ice and my hubby likes the super pretzals and we are on a mailing list for coupons from the company that makes those. We get routinely 50 cent off coupons with no experiation date. I usually get pretzals for 50 cents to a dollar and the italian ice for 1.50.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu May 15, 2008 06:10 pm

I third couponing. I always shop for loss leaders each week and stock up. Yes I am THAT mom that will buy 30 boxes of the stouffers mac and cheese because my kids and dh LOVES it when it is on sale. It's an easy meal when we are on the go. I also stock up on meat. Ex. This week hamburger was $1.89 lb. I bought 30 lbs. I will fry up tomorrow night and divide into 1lb bags for the freezer. Sunday I bought 16 boxes of froot loops, apple jacks, and another flavor because it was 4 for $10. I also had coupons. They were the big boxes of cereal that go for $5 at the grocery store. I get a lot of funny looks when I stock up, but oh well.

If you need freezer space, you can buy a small chest freezer at walmart for $150. I did that, best buy EVER. It's the perfect size so I am not wasting electricity and it stays full.

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Thu May 15, 2008 04:28 pm

I've never bought cheap-o make-up, until now. I don't wear make-up every day and we have a wedding reception to go to tomorrow night, so I went to Family Dollar and got lipstick, blush and mascara all for $1 a piece.

Usually I would go to Target or other similar store, but they are too far. This way, I saved gas and can look half way decent! (I did a trial run with it to make sure I wouldn't break out. I didn't, yeah!)

Return to “Misc”