Any fellow book lovers out there??

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
deerhart

Re : Any fellow book lovers out there??

Postby deerhart » Thu Jul 17, 2008 05:57 pm

I read like crazy (when I have access to books about 1 a day) but my tastes are pretty specific and if I can't get into a book, then I just can't.

I read a lot of mystery books, both murder mystery, crime mystery, paranormal mystery and suspense. I also read a ton of Gothic romance, classical stories, adaptations, and I LOVE to find a good series, not only for the plot of each book, but the underlying plot and development of the same characters through each story.

I usually post all the books I have recently read on my facebook account.

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 03:49 pm

I also just heard good things about Eat Pray Love. I'm in for the book club. I was just telling a friend I want to start reading more. I rarely do it, but when I get "in" a book - I can barely emerge from it. Usually I read a book in 3 days!

I'll be looking for the book of the month!

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Thu Jul 17, 2008 03:06 pm

With all the time differences, maybe we can offer up a thread like this one to start/keep discussions? And then if we want, we can also setup a chat.

I'm with ya'll ... whatever you pick, I'll find!

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Thu Jul 17, 2008 02:39 pm

I'll read whatever you pick!:)

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Thu Jul 17, 2008 02:26 pm

Donna,

Why don't you pick a book from your stack for us to begin with? I think we all have resources to find those books.

Any ideas on discussions or just chat about our reading as it goes...?

mada

Postby mada » Thu Jul 17, 2008 02:13 pm

Eat Pray Love is a good one for sure. As for The Kite Runner...that was a tough read but amazing. His second Novel 1000 Splendid Suns is also a great piece of work. A hard read as well..but there is hope in it.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:14 am

Donna,
Didn't Ann Patchett write The Patron Saint of Liars? I liked that book. Also, I *love* Barbara Kingsolver. I attempted to read The Poisonwood Bible several times before giving it one more go, and now it's one of my all time favorite novels. Have you read any by Lalita Tademy? She wrote Cane River and the new Red River? Both are historical fiction which I could read and read!

I got my BA in literature, but since reading isn't a requirement anymore, I don't get in nearly as much as I would like! I just finished Veil of Roses which was pretty good.

neslo

Postby neslo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 08:58 am

Honestly - I'll read just about anything. I guess I'm kind of a book ****.

I really love Jodi Picoult, Barbara Kingsolver, Christopher Moore... I could go on and on... I'm in the middle of reading Eat, Pay, Love and Suite Francais. I just finished Bidra by Paulo Cohello. I love his books.

Alice - I've had the Book Theif sitting in my stack of "to be read" books for months. everytime I think about it I put it back. I've never read any of the Stephanie Plum books but I ordered the first one today from my book swap group. You and Jen made it sound good.

Rebecca - I choose books by their cover all the time!! I've made some of my best discoveries that way.

Here's what's in my stack to read. Reading Lolita in Tehran, Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult, Run by Ann Pachett, The Friday Nigh Knitting CLub by Kate Jacobs, Where or When by Anita Shreeve (another of my favorite authors) Abundance By Sena Jeter Naslund.

Honestly - I'll read just about anything

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:08 pm

One a month is good for me too.

I don't have any suggestions...I haven't done any serious reading in a couple of years. Hate to say it, but I choose books to read by their covers, LOL.

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Alice, you've picked some of my favorite books! I love the Stephanie Plum series (it's one of the only ones I'll buy in hardback), and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night is one of my all-time favorites. Have you ever read Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn, or The Life of Pi by Yann Martel? Both great ones. The Kite Runner is an amazing book, but a major downer. I don't think I could handle reading it again.

Return to “Misc”