Dear Abby....(LONG)

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
angelkat

Re : Dear Abby....(LONG)

Postby angelkat » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:50 am

I would have done the same thing... In our hospital a person who had 30 years of employment read her brother in law chart and found out he had cancer. She told her husband (here's the chain reaction who then called so on and so on) The BIL got wind of it and called the hospital. Needless to say, she was fired and she had to pay a $10,000 HIPPA fine and the hospital was also sued and had to pay HIPPA fines etc.....

Being the in the medical field she knows better....

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:53 am

To be honest, that lady deserved to lose her job, and the Doctor's Office is lucky you haven't taken further action against them. As far as your friend is concerned, only you really know whether the friendship is salvageable. You have nothing to apologize for, her Aunt should have known better.

neslo

Postby neslo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 am

If you work in the medical field you should be well versed in what can and can not be said.

You did what you had to do to protect your family.

I hate that someone had to loose their job - but I think what you did was 100% right.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:38 am

Honestly I think you need a new friend. I had a similar situation happen to me except my mil was the one doing the reporting and running her mouth. To keep the peace in the family, I changed drs immediately and basically laid it that my medical records were none of her business.

jamie w

Dear Abby....(LONG)

Postby jamie w » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:53 am

So, here's the kind of short version, what do you think?
My supposed dear friend has an aunt (by marriage, not actually blood related) who works at the same Dr. office where my family goes. This Dr. was my on and is also my family Dr. (We live in a rural area). Anyway, my friend's aunt has always disliked me for some reason and I am not really sure what I ever did to her nor do I care. I think it is likely jealousy but who really knows. Anyway, the aunt is always saying tacky things about me but I am not usually phased by it and consider it all kind of sad that she has nothing better to do than to degrade me when she doesn't even really know me. So my friend and her aunt and other family were at her cousin's birthday party and my name somehow came up. The aunt starts saying that I am a crazy mother who just "wants" there to be something wrong with my child and that she has "read all of Anna's medical records and there is nothing wrong with her." So my supposed friend comes to me and tells me what her aunt said. It really made me mad at her aunt but mad at her too for telling me something knowing how bad it would hurt me. So I though about it for awhile and decided that her crap had gone on for long enough. I called the Dr's office and spoke with the office manager and told her that this lady was reading all of our records and reporting lies about them at social gatherings. This lady has no business reading our stuff- she works in the lab at the office, she is in no way connected to our information. So the office manager talked to the doctors and they decided she should be fired for her HIPPA violations and for the manner in which she is acting. So now my supposed friend's family is mad at her for telling me what her aunt said and my supposed friend is mad at me for calling the office manager. I feel like I did what I had to do to protect my family. I feel like if she didn't want me to do something about it then she shouldn't have told me. I cannot be told things like that about my family and just say "oh well." What would you have done and do you think this is a friendship worth trying to save? I don't know what to do but I am so hurt. This friend also told me at one time she doesn't know how to relte to me since her child is "normal" and mine has CP.

Return to “Misc”