Post Reply FAQ Members Login

low vitamin D- causes?

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

low vitamin D- causes?

Postby alviarin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 03:10 pm

by alviarin (1634 Posts), Tue Apr 28, 2009 03:10 pm

I found out over a year ago my vitamin D level was low. I supplemented at higher doses to bring it up to normal range.

Lately I have been taking 1000 IU/day as a maintenance dose per my endocrinologist's recommendation. However I just found out my vitamin D is low again!

Anyone know what can cause low vitamin D? (Besides lack in diet or in sun exposure).

In the good news department my ANA levels are lower, so I feel like I don't have to worry about anything in that department.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re : low vitamin D- causes?

Postby carjashaner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 03:28 pm

by carjashaner (199 Posts), Tue Apr 28, 2009 03:28 pm

I noticed that you are hypothyroid. There is a website- www.parathyroid.com that does talk about low vitamin D levels in patients with parathyroid. Not knowing much about either, you may want to visit the site a read up on it. Not sure if this will help, but it may give you a link to something else that may help you. At least I hope it does :)
carjashaner

Postby caryn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 05:44 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Tue Apr 28, 2009 05:44 pm

There's something about genetically variant receptors for vitamin D. I guess supplementing vitamin D doesn't raise sera levels for some of us because our bodies don't retrieve it because it just bounces off the receptors, or *sometimes* just bounces off the receptors... and that many autoimmune diseases also go along with low sera levels of vitamin D. Psoriasis patients have low D IIRC and supplementing them does not raise it... so they use a topical formula because it can be absorbed through the skin (because the skin receptors are different from the digestive receptors, I guess.)

I don't get it, though, at least not well enough to explain it clearly.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 07:18 pm

by alviarin (1634 Posts), Tue Apr 28, 2009 07:18 pm

Carole,
I'm interested in the parathyroid angle. From reading I have experienced about every symptom of hyperparathyroidism except kidney stones. The bone pain pretty much went away when I started thyroid meds though. I've had high normal calcium levels before - years ago-, so it might be worth getting it checked again.

And Caryn thanks for the genetics angle. We have a lot of autoimmune disorders in my family tree, so maybe we are genetically pre-disposed to have wonky vitamin D levels to go along with them!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby carjashaner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 08:55 pm

by carjashaner (199 Posts), Tue Apr 28, 2009 08:55 pm

I think... though I am not sure, that kidney stones have basically the same *style of being* as gall stones....meaning that sometimes you can have them for very long periods of time and not know that you have them. I know that I just had my gall bladder removed and was told that it was full of stones, though I had no idea. Have you ever been checked for kidney stones? Maybe they are there and you have just not had a flare up, so to speak. It's definately worth checking out, as the website I offered you shows some pretty harsh statements about other illnesses that can stem from Vitamin D deficiency. Keep me up to date if you would. I would really like to know what you find out.
carjashaner

Postby fiona » Wed May 06, 2009 02:03 am

by fiona (5767 Posts), Wed May 06, 2009 02:03 am

After reading that thyroid site I'm going back to the doctor. I have a walnut-sized benign tumour on one gland biopsied last year. They just sent me packing when it was clear it wasn't cancer, but now I'm wondering if my increasingly chronic fatigue and general bad temper is being caused by it.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed May 06, 2009 10:34 pm

by alviarin (1634 Posts), Wed May 06, 2009 10:34 pm

Fiona,

"increasingly chronic fatigue and general bad temper" can definitely be symptoms of a thyroid problem. That described me, my sister, and my old college roommate whilst we were hypothyroid.

Have you had a full thyroid panel run recently including anti-thyroid antibodies?

Some people can be symptomatic even with TSH in range, especially with anti-thyroid antibodies. The current "normal" TSH range is under debate and may be narrowed in the future, since most people without a thyroid problem have a TSH between 1-2 mIU/L. Lab reference ranges may have been skewed by the inclusion of people with mild thyroid disfunction in the sample population.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 pm

Thank you for posting this!! I am having so much hip pain that I had x-rays done yesterday. I have all of those symptoms on the parathyroid except: GERD, Thinning hair & Kidney Stones. Lots can apply to other things I'm sure but hey - maybe it could be a simple thing like this that I've never heard of. I should hear something about the x-rays but I'll ask my Dr. about a thyroid panel.
I know I'm almost 40 with 3 small kids but I feel 80 most days lately & I'm back to taking anxiety meds nearly daily because I'm having so much trouble coping. I'm like several dwarfs combined: grumpy, sleepy, sad, forgetful...
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu May 07, 2009 01:42 am

by alviarin (1634 Posts), Thu May 07, 2009 01:42 am

Actually for parathyroid gland problems I believe they check calcium levels and parathyroid hormone levels (PTH). That is what my endo tests for anyway.

Not that a thyroid panel wouldn't be a good idea, thyroid disorders are relatively common, and are estimated to affect [url="http://www.aace.com/newsroom/press/2003/index.php?r=20030118"]1 in 10 Americans[/url].
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu May 07, 2009 08:17 am

by trish (2949 Posts), Thu May 07, 2009 08:17 am

Thanks Alanna. I'm not really liking this Dr. I just started seeing so I think I'll just try and go see and endo.
trish
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Misc