low vitamin D- causes?

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Re : low vitamin D- causes?

Postby alviarin » Tue Dec 01, 2009 03:25 pm

Posting a much belated follow-up:
My parathyroid tests, h.pylori test, and celiac screen came back normal.

I just went back in for a vitamin-D retest. Taking 1800 IU vitamin D/day I was able to stay in-range. (1000 IU/day doesn't cut if for me). I suspect that I have lactose intolerance, so I probably wasn't getting enough vitamin D from diet.

Strangely enough my three sisters all seem to have vitamin D deficiencies also, so maybe it is genetic. Though one sis probably doesn't get enough sunlight due to long work hours, another may have celiac, and one is hypothyroid like me.

I have to admit I have more energy and less migraines on vitamin D, even though my thyroid levels right now are a little lower than where I normally like them to be.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re : low vitamin D- causes?

Postby beetkvass » Thu Dec 03, 2009 09:16 pm

Interesting thread. I was diagnosed as having hyperparathyroidism in my last pregnancy. It's often so hard to diagnosis because the symptoms can be so many other things. Mine was just diagnosed from a blood work up with my thyroid Dr and he noticed my calcium levels were high. I have never had elevated parathyroid hormone levels. They couldn't do some of the standard testing because I was pregnant. But when they went in during surgery they found the screwy gland and removed it. I felt like a new woman within an hour of surgery! I had had severe morning sickness and after the surgery wasn't sick any more.

But I always wondered if it is what led to my problems in my last pregnancy. It's very risky to have while pregnant. And it can lead to blood pressure problems so I always wondered if it sort of started a cascade of events that couldn't fully be stopped despite the surgery.

Glad to hear your test results were normal!
beetkvass

Previous

Return to Misc