NYTimes: His Maternal Instinct

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : NYTimes: His Maternal Instinct

Postby caryn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:38 am

If you're on Facebook, you can "friend" Nicholas Kristof of the NYTimes, who's writing a lot of articles lately on maternal health.

You can also become a fan of the Preeclampsia Foundation.

(And you can friend me! :-) )

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Jul 20, 2009 08:36 pm

I saw that same program Denise and it was fascinating and terrible at the same time.

denise

Postby denise » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:36 am

Thank you for posting this Caryn. I caught the last half of a program on PBS last week which covered a woman as she learned the OB craft in Mozambique and what women there go through for maternal health care. I was left in tears from disbelief, sadness, and anger. This article is another example of how women are not given value, especially in certain regions.

frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby frasiah » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:41 am

Caryn,
Thank you for posting the links to the NY times healthcare articles. The previous ones on maternal healthcare in Africa and now Pakistan just make one sad; then angry, a little more sad (and very angry), and by the time I am at the end of the article, perplexed that an entire country can ignore the very people that brought them into this world. Without adequate OB/GYN care, there will be no girls to hook up with their sons to bring forth more sons to build all those nuclear programs that they think girls (their daughters) cannot do!!

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:30 pm

Wow! I feel so blessed to be in Canada. How incredibly sad but happy at the same time. I am glad that at least 1 Doctor cared enough to do something to help all of those women.

"If your cow dies, that is a tragedy; if your wife dies, you can always get another."...hmmmm.....glad I won't be remarrying anytime soon if that is a common attitude!

I suddenly feel very content and happy to be basking in my singlehood and in my Canadianhood. LOL. :-)

caryn
Forum Moderator

NYTimes: His Maternal Instinct

Postby caryn » Sun Jul 19, 2009 02:01 am

Here in Pakistan, a woman dies every 35 minutes because of problems from pregnancy or childbirth, according to United Nations figures.

The underlying reason is that maternal health has never been a priority globally, either to poor countries or to foreign aid donors like the United States. The only exceptions are Britain and Norway, and I hope the Obama administration will back them up.

In this part of Pakistan, Sindh Province, there is a saying that goes: If your cow dies, that is a tragedy; if your wife dies, you can always get another...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/opini ... istof.html

Return to “Misc”