Post Reply FAQ Members Login

DVDs for Little Ones

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

DVDs for Little Ones

Postby surefoott » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:59 am

by surefoott (460 Posts), Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:59 am

What are some suggestions you ladies have for DVDs for a very young child (he is 13 months)? Mind you, this is NOT to serve as a 'babysitter' in front of the TV, but rather, something that might keep his attention for however short a time to help him learn to watch and relax with something. Or, an active one is great too so he can follow activities. He does notice the TV when it is on and sometimes seems mesmorized by it, so my daughter in law would like to have something he could watch occasionally. She is pregnant again, too and would like to have something he could sit and watch with her while she is resting. When my kids were little, we watched Sesame Street but I think he is still too young and too active to be satisfied with that! Baby Einstein? Please help with some ideas! This is my precious baby grandson and I want to put a few in his Halloween box of gifts from GMA!
surefoott

Re : DVDs for Little Ones

Postby julieb » Tue Aug 25, 2009 01:16 pm

by julieb (364 Posts), Tue Aug 25, 2009 01:16 pm

My son had no interest in TV for a very long time but the first thing he ever would actually watch was Elmo's World, which is part of Sesame Street. Elmo has all kinds of DVDs out and Mason loves watching anything with Elmo now. He is 2 now but his fascination with Elmo started around 18 months and I know most of his little friends love Elmo...must be something about his annoying voice :)
julieb

Postby hols537 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 02:45 pm

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Tue Aug 25, 2009 02:45 pm

At that age, I'd go for something that is music (and not story) based. Alexander didn't really pay much attention to TV until he was about 18months too. He really enjoyed Barney and Elmo's World. Some of my friends' kids also liked the Wiggles at that age. I've heard great things about Baby Einstein, but Alexander never liked it.

Like your daughter is looking to do, I started Alexander watching TV so he would stay put (or at least close by) while I tended to the baby or myself. I will admit though, he rarely paid attention longer than 5-10 minutes until he got to about 2. Now, he is into Thomas and Blue's Clues.
hols537

Postby missgamecock » Tue Aug 25, 2009 09:48 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Tue Aug 25, 2009 09:48 pm

I hate to admit this but Cate is fascinated with Sponge Bob. Sara has been a fan since she was about a year. Her toddler teacher said you know she knows all about Sponge Bob (like where did she learn that from?) I said of course, she has a sister 6 1/2 years older than her. Duh.
missgamecock

Postby jmom08 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 am

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 am

My son liked Mary Poppins when he was about that age, although the AAP actually recommends no TV at all before age 2 (apparently it seems like it's helping a baby's concentration but may hurt in the long term). We tried to follow the rule, but ended up resorting to shows several times when DS was sick and we ran out of ways to keep him happy. We played Baby Einstein DVDs a couple of times and DS did seem to like them.
jmom08

Postby patty » Sat Aug 29, 2009 00:38 am

by patty (667 Posts), Sat Aug 29, 2009 00:38 am

Randall who is 15 months loves YoGabbaGabba on the Noggin Channel. He will also sit and watch The wonder pets show in the same channel for 10 minutes or so at a time. I think he likes the music and singing in these shows.
patty

Postby season » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:37 am

by season (1416 Posts), Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:37 am

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends zero hours of screen time for kids under two. It hinders their development.

If you want to help a child learn to sit and relax - read to him. On the other hand, he is active because that is how he learns by interacting with his world (not watching.)
season
Forum Moderator

Postby surefoott » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:38 am

by surefoott (460 Posts), Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:38 am

Thank you, ladies! We are going with Elmo and Barney and I caught some good sales at T*rg#t. I agree with you all who said about music-based rather than story-based. My kids, even when very young, used to love 'dancing' to the music shows, and loved Sesame Street from the time they were barely over one. They (and I!) learned alot from it! My 13-month-old grandson 'dances' too, to any music he hears on the TV, so I know he will love this! I will be excited for him to get these in his Halloween goodies box!
I've been talking to other moms about Baby Einstein, and honestly, there are very few who said their kids really like it. Interesting!
surefoott

Return to Misc