Post Reply FAQ Members Login

good sippy cup wanted!

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

good sippy cup wanted!

Postby joannek » Thu Sep 24, 2009 09:46 am

Hello all,
Looking for a recommendation. I need to get Sara more consistently drinking out of a sippy cup, problem is seems every brand I've tried has the leaking problem, or else it all comes out when she shakes it upside down. I am sick of cleaning of puddles so I throw my hands up and continue giving her milk in a bottle.
Thanks
joannek

Re : good sippy cup wanted!

Postby trish » Thu Sep 24, 2009 07:39 pm

We've always had good luck with the Platex ones - with the 2 ended rubber insert/stopper. We have tons of those. My new favorite are Disney ones (don't remember the brand but they are at Wal-mart) that have no insert (we have green & purple fairies but they have princess & mickey mouse ones too - probably other characters too). They have a hard plastic top so they can't pound them upside down & get it to come out (like the soft nubie kind).

Since you'll have 2 using sippies before long let me pass this tip along. I bought 3 sets of the Disney fairy sippies because each set has one purple & one green lid design. Now I can have "purple" sippy day & "green" day & I always know which is the correct "fresh" sippy in case we're looking for a sippy & with my 3 we're always looking for a sippy. It's so much easier to have matching cups each day so no fights over whose is whose. Yes, they share germs but heck they're doing that anyway.

But my youngest will be 2 at Christmas & she still has at least 2 bottles of milk a day. She takes them so well & I'm trying to get calories into her anyway I can so ya do what works!!!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 pm

The ones Trish is talking about - the ones with no valve? Those are the ones that survived Ella's rocket launching with nary a drop of leaked liquid. I started both kids with a Nuby because of the soft tip which made transition easier (not easy, maybe I should say less traumatic - for me, because they both hated sippies at first), but they leak. When you look for it in the store, it will note on the package that it has a built-in valve, and it's the only one I've seen like that. They have them at Target and BRU also.

Okay, I just found a link! It's by The First Year: http://www.mommafindings.com/2008/10/first-years-sippy-cup.html

I have no idea what this site is, but it has a photo of the sippies and isn't a commercial site, so I picked this one from the google search :).
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 06:56 am

I totally agree about the Nuby's leaking! I found the Gerber cups didn't leak, but neither of my boys could get the liquid through the valve :)

We actually switched over to straw cups and found we got less leaking from those. The dentist said it was better for their teeth because then the sugars bypassed their teeth. Jonathan actually went right to straw cups from nursing. The Playtex ones don't leak at all (as long as I follow the instructions to put the valve together). I just bought 6 of the new style and the colors are all coordinated so there is no matching - Yay!
hols537

Postby joannek » Fri Sep 25, 2009 09:33 am

Thanks ladies,
I'll keep my eyes open for these next time I'm in WalMart or Target.
The straw ones are good, but she doesn't really stay on them long enough to get anything, but I guess if it's the only thing I ofer she'll get over that soon enough!
joannek

Postby mellybute » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:08 am

These are the cups that I use for my 3 yr old and any other kids that come over. They are the only ones I have found that do not leak and can take a beating. They are at Walmart and come with apple juice in them, but I wash & reuse in the dishwasher. They are GREAT!

They are TUMMY TICKLER brand and they make them for girls & boys (the tops) and can be found in the juice isle.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10536137
mellybute

Postby mom29 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 02:18 pm

I like the Avent brand because the spout can be changed. I don't like it when they get all chewed up.
mom29

Return to Misc