New/Reply FAQ Members Login

FREEBIRTHING on Discovery Health

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

FREEBIRTHING on Discovery Health

Postby jgrumet » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:38 pm

I don't know id anyone has posted about this because, but this is my second time watching this. I think after having Aram I REALLY don't understand why anyone would want to have completely unassisted childbirth AND prenatal care. If I did that you could have shot me in the head and have had the same end result.

This one woman refuses prenatal care and is taking her BP at the drug store- a lot of us know how inaccurate those machines can be. AND she now thinks she has placenta previa, but won't see a doctor.

Has anyone else seen this? It freaks me out watching it.
jgrumet

Re : FREEBIRTHING on Discovery Health

Postby jend01 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 02:15 pm

I haven't seen it, but I would NEVER even consider doing that!!
jend01

Postby mellybute » Wed Oct 28, 2009 03:34 pm

I have not seen it, but it sounds ridiculous!!
mellybute

Postby missgamecock » Wed Oct 28, 2009 07:58 pm

I have seen it. I am so much of a pe freak and nerd that I could NEVER do that. I would have to have reassurance every step of the way to make sure everything was ok!!
missgamecock

Postby jgrumet » Wed Oct 28, 2009 09:25 pm

Even in low-risk women this seems crazy. I can understand a home birth with a midwife, but self prenatal care and a completely unassisted birth? Come on....Why???
jgrumet

Postby jules2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 06:50 am

Someone should remind these women how high maternal mortality used to be - and still is in some parts of the world. Let alone neo-natal mortality. Some women seem to believe its the docs who cause all the problems!
jules2

Postby complexophelia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 08:38 pm

It makes me so mad. So, so, so mad. I was going to have a home birth with DS, with a CERTIFIED NURSE MIDWIFE.

It comes from a place of having no idea that anything bad could ever happen, and I'm jealous of that. It must be nice to be so relaxed about your pregnancy and so sure that nothing bad could happen to you. For the babe's sake, I pray that's the case for these Unassisted Pregnancies.
complexophelia

Postby beetkvass » Tue Nov 17, 2009 06:40 pm

I really like this board and need the support here this pregnancy. So I hope I won't be judged harshly here. But I'll out myself as being very well acquainted with the unassisted birth community online and IRL in my state. I have been for a good decade now. I know a lot of people who have unassisted births and who have had several of them. I had a UC with my 4th pregnancy though I had full prenatal care with her. It was hands down the most incredible event of my life and in my husband's.

I fully accept that I am not at a stage where pregnancy is simple and safe for me and I am ok with that. Well, not ok with it. But I accept it. However in my experience in most cases of healthy women pregnancy and birth can and often is very simple and safe. There is nothing like having your baby at home in your own bed and caught in your own arms to affirm that. But I think we've all here had other experiences showing otherwise. I can understand that an experience like that makes it very hard to see passed that.
beetkvass

Postby amandaoasis » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Marcella,

I don't think any of us would try to alienate someone with natural birth beliefs. I think more than anything, a lot of us are envious of the experience that those women get to have. An uncomplicated pregnancy and happy at-home birth surrounded by our loved ones is a dream a lot of us have had in the past. And then it was all crushed.

More than anything, I just worry about women who choose to have absolutely no pre-natal care and a birth without any type of medical supervision (even just a midwife). We have all seen the deadly outcomes of PE and we just don't want to see women and babies in those situations. And yes, I do understand that pregnancy is a totally natural phenomenon and that the vast majority of women have an uncomplicated time of it.

Congrats on getting to experience a home birth...that really must have been a beautiful experience. And it is wonderful that you realize that with a history of PE that this time around everyone is safer with increased medical supervision.

Again, no harsh judgements from me. I hope you stick around and we get to watch as your pregnancy continues until you give birth to a healthy baby, and beyond. The support of these boards is irreplaceable. Welcome!
amandaoasis

Postby caryn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:25 pm

I planned a homebirth myself, so no, I don't think anyone here is going to judge an individual's hopes for an uncomplicated birth, or luck at having one, harshly. :-)

Re. lifetime maternal mortality: Radio Free Europe reports a one in six death rate in an environment likely very similar to our historic environment. A director at the Council on Foreign Relations describes the numbers as "frankly medieval" -- not even all that historic!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Misc