FREEBIRTHING on Discovery Health

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Re : FREEBIRTHING on Discovery Health

Postby jmom08 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 08:33 am

quote:
Originally posted by ComplexOphelia

It must be nice to be so relaxed about your pregnancy and so sure that nothing bad could happen to you.

Yes. That's how I feel sometimes talking also with people who have never experienced PE or other pregnancy complications... some of them are very concerned and want to find out more, others seem to come from a mindset where if it hasn't happened to them personally, it can't be a big deal. It's really bizarre how many people seem to know everything about all pregnancies just because they they had one without problems!

I think the goal of giving moms more comfort and control over childbirth is wonderful. I think doctors and hospitals could learn a lot from it! I don't think, though, that those goals should trump the safety of mom & baby, and I do get upset the few times I've talked with advocates who act as though I'm somehow missing out or being misled by not going / having gone that route.
jmom08

Postby jules2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 01:52 pm

Its refusing any ante-natal care that gets me here. No-one can really predict which women will develop PE, gestational diabetes, or a whole host of other pregnancy complications. Even if you have had a normal pregnancy already, that is not a sure fire guarantee for the future.

I don't see any problem with someone wanting or organising a home birth, just so long as they have a plan B which can be put into action quickly if things start going wrong. Even before my disaster pregnancy, I always wanted the reassurance of a hospital birth, that is just me. I can understand others would prefer the comfort and familiarity of home.
jules2

Postby atvlady » Mon Nov 23, 2009 08:29 pm

I think homebirth is a individual decision ONLY if there is proper care and the midwife has a backup plan if things go wrong. I did watch this show 2 times and found it to be so bad that she did not get prenatal care. Her baby really needs that! When I got pregnant I wanted to do a homebirth but now that I know about pre-e, I have changed my mind and will be traveling an hour and half away to give birth in a level 3 NICU hospital where my OB is. I don't trust pre-e cause I know things can go sourly south and in the express lane. Education is key as long as proper prenatal care and care for the mother, even at 6 weeks PP!
atvlady

Postby brianned5 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 02:06 pm

I watched some of it, but when my husband came in and saw some of it he was getting pretty upset. So we turned. I'll never understand it. Of course, I refuse to see anyone but an MFM, and will only go to a level III maternity hospital with a level III NICU, so I'm totally opposite.
brianned5

Postby rosalinda » Tue Dec 22, 2009 02:15 pm

I haven't seen it, does anyone know where I can catch a re-run or get it on DVD?
rosalinda

Previous

Return to Misc