Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Vegetarian diet?

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Vegetarian diet?

Postby jmom08 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 03:34 pm

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Mon Nov 09, 2009 03:34 pm

Anticipating hints from the in-laws blaming vegetarian diet for my PE last time, as soon as they find out I'm pregnant again... just thought I would check to see if others are aware of research I haven't seen!

I remember reading about a study a while back showing fewer PE numbers in a community of vegans, but haven't been able to find anything else on vegetarians & PE.

I did test positive for Protein C deficiency clotting disorder -- my understanding though is that Protein C is different from dietary protein, right?
jmom08

Re : Vegetarian diet?

Postby caryn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 08:05 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Mon Nov 09, 2009 08:05 pm

There's [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11262466?dopt=Abstract"]no confirmed link with diet[/url] whatsoever. :-)

After adjustment for baseline risks, none of the 28 nutritional factors analyzed were significantly related to either preeclampsia or pregnancy-associated hypertension.

Every once in a while a small pilot study will pop up, where the sample population is very small, and they'll think they might have found a correlation. So far those always wash out in the bigger studies, and the odds are that they're finding a correlation in the smaller studies because they have such a small population. If they only test 30 women, and PE only happens in one of 20 pregnancies... then the chance that they actually found some sort of correlation with diet is extraordinarily small.

Protein C is a chemical manufactured by the body in the clotting cascade, and you're right -- it's no relation to dietary protein.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Vegetarian diet?

Postby jmom08 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:41 pm

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Thank you so much!!
This helps a ton. You are awesome!!
jmom08

Return to Misc