Post Reply FAQ Members Login

For those of you that had your tubes tied....

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

For those of you that had your tubes tied....

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Nov 25, 2009 07:51 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Wed Nov 25, 2009 07:51 pm

Did you feel sad afterward? I was determined throughout my entire pregnancy to have my tubes tied during my c-section. I know that my body could never do this again. I am 35 years old and I somehow avoided a stroke and heart attack due to ridiculous blood pressure readings not once, but twice. My MFM brought up the option of going with an IUD and I said no, I'm too old to get pregnant again and my body hates being pregnant. He said he delivers women 10 older than me, and that this pregnancy wasn't so bad. I told him I still wanted the tubal and he said okay, and that's what he did after the c-section. Today I had my two week follow-up and he reviewed the pathology report and said "you're now out of the baby making business." For some reason my eyes welled up with tears. I have been feeling regret over the tubal since the day it was done. I guess I forgot how fun it was to have a newborn, and when I hold Brandon I feel sad that he will be my last baby. Plus, my husband and I have not been getting along and I keep thinking, what if I get divorced and remarry and want to have a baby with my new husband? I think the hormones are just overwhelming me right now, because both times I hated being pregnant and I swore I would never do it again, but now I can't help but feel sad. I guess because it's just so permanent. I'm sure I will be glad later on, but I just wanted to see if anyone else regretted their decision after the surgery was over.

Thanks for listening....
hannahsmom

Re : For those of you that had your tubes tied....

Postby missgamecock » Wed Nov 25, 2009 08:10 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Wed Nov 25, 2009 08:10 pm

I know you are not the first, BIG HUGS. I havn't had a tubal for precisely those reasons. I just CAN'T. Even though I know I have pregnancies from *. Even though I have never gotten full term and spend months on bedrest. I just CAN'T. I don't know what to tell you. I am sending you big hugs.
missgamecock

Postby catherine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 09:29 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Wed Nov 25, 2009 09:29 pm

Suzanne, be gentle with yourself and let some little time pass. Yes, a phase of your life passed with the decision to tie your tubes but remember that you are indeed swimming in hormones and you are also enjoying the enormous treat of a delicious snuggly newborn. I can confidently say that by the time Brandon is crawling and Hannah is up to her eyes in even more school activities, you'll be much more confident of your decision. So close to the event, it's natural that your focus is "backward", very soon now I anticipate that you'll be looking more "forward".
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 pm

by fiona (5767 Posts), Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Suzanne, I agree with Catherine. I had my tubal when I had Sacha - I was 38. Yes, I still get the odd twinge of baby-fever when I see a newborn, or think about Sacha starting school next year. But, honestly, I also know that I am darned lucky to have the two living boys I have - and my body just isn't built for baby-making.

Hormones are horrible things, but once the post-natal surge is over it's surprising how quickly your brain starts kicking back into gear and putting it all back into perspective.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby mellybute » Fri Nov 27, 2009 01:06 am

by mellybute (425 Posts), Fri Nov 27, 2009 01:06 am

I just had my tubes tied after the birth of baby boy #2 on August 2, 2009. I too knew even before the PE really hit in this pregnancy that my body could not handle another pregnancy. It was a decision I made from the beginning and something I guess my intuition told me it should be my last. The PE just confirmed that for me.

And yes, it makes me sad. I don't regret it but now that my son is here and in the smiley cooing cute as a button phase, I get sad thinking he will be my last baby. I am just trying to soak up every moment and enjoy his sweet little face as much as I can.

I think had my body and pregnancies cooperated a little better, I would have tried for 3. I think if I would have started younger it could have happened for me maybe. I am 35.

Part of me is sad about it being my last and part of me is THRILLED that I will never be pregnant again!!! :-)

I am happy for what I have been given and remind myself how LUCKY I truly am!!
mellybute

Postby hols537 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 07:24 am

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Fri Nov 27, 2009 07:24 am

I wrote a long reply a few days ago and I guess it didn't post. So, I'm trying again.

I had my tubes tied after Jonathan was born too. Yes, sometimes I'm sad that there won't be more babies, but I always remember that the decision was not made about babies, it was made about pregnancies. They're too risky and we (me, my husband and my doctors) decided it was the right thing.

Hang in there through the hormones and enjoy those kids!
hols537

Postby aundapenner » Fri Nov 27, 2009 03:53 pm

by aundapenner (1624 Posts), Fri Nov 27, 2009 03:53 pm

(((hugs)))

Be gentle with yourself. And trust yourself too. You made the decision based not just on temporary things (the joy of holding a newborn) but for the long-term - and for your children.

I was unsure during my pregnancy with Sofia about having a tubal and opted to wait. I have an appointment next week though with my OB/GYN to schedule the surgery. It makes me sad to think I will not have any more biological children, but if we ever decide we want more, we will know that my health will not be at risk and we will adopt.

aundapenner

Postby sheri-ct » Fri Nov 27, 2009 07:21 pm

by sheri-ct (685 Posts), Fri Nov 27, 2009 07:21 pm

I didn't need to get my tubes tied (endo took care of that for me:( ), but I can relate. I swore that I never wanted to be pregnant again and I hated the end of my pregnancy, but now I'm sad that I'l never be able to do it again. And I'm 41! The time is going too quickly and it makes me sad to watch Meredith get so big. And I also agree wit the others about the hormones, you will feel less sad as time passes. (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby southerngirl108 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 09:11 pm

by southerngirl108 (44 Posts), Fri Nov 27, 2009 09:11 pm

I am 30 years old and I had my tubal done during my c-section with Noah. My husband and I would love to have more children, and during my last pregnancy (before complications hit) we even talked about wanting more. But once I was put on bedrest we felt that was the Lord's way of telling us 2 is what He had planned for us. I talked with my OB about it and she said "given the fact you've had two complicated pregnancies, I think a tubal is a responsible decision". So, I'm sad that Noah is my last baby, but I also know is was the right decision for me and my husband. I have not had any regrets so far, but that's not to say I won't later on.

I'm sure your hormones are just getting the better of you, and the issues with your DH aren't helping matters. Hugs to you!!!
southerngirl108

Postby hannahsmom » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 am

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 am

Thank you, ladies, for sharing your stories. They made me feel better. Hopefully as time goes on, I will feel better about my decision.
hannahsmom

Next

Return to Misc