Pregnant woman in NYC...

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Pregnant woman in NYC...

Postby angieb » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:50 am

quote:
A pregnant Brooklyn woman suffering a fatal seizure in a coffee shop in the shadow of FDNY Headquarters was ignored by two callous city medics who continued to buy their breakfast, eyewitnesses told The Post.

[url]
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/emt_duo_on_break_let_preg_mom_die_mrj8Jv8kjmS0Z3FNO4DmiL[/url]

I know the focus in the news is how the EMT's walked away--and believe me--I think that's pretty scummy and that they should be fired.

However, I'm more interested in what was wrong with the mother, because it screams eclampsia/pre-eclampsia/ maybe even HELLP to me. And if that's the case, I think it's pretty doubtful that the EMT's/doctors *could* have saved her at that point anyway, though that doesn't excuse them. (One of my aunt's co-workers, who was a nurse, died from HELLP syndrome complications in her home earlier this year. She dismissed the pain as normal pregnancy stuff and then it was too late. )

Ugh, either way, a pretty horrible situation all the way around.
angieb

Re : Pregnant woman in NYC...

Postby annes » Tue Dec 22, 2009 02:40 pm

Yeah, I wondered the same thing when I saw this. Poor woman, her baby died two hours after she did :(. I feel so badly for her family.
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby brianned5 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 05:52 pm

What a tragic loss of two precious lives. My preeclampsia was severe enough to be fatal, but my HELLP is what shut my organs down. My doctor said once HELLP sets in you only have a matter of a couple hours before it's fatal. I wish HELLP (PE too) was acknowledged more. I knew what PE was because my Mom had it which caused her to deliver me around 30 weeks gestation, but I'd never heard of HELLP. It's just so sad.
brianned5

Postby missgamecock » Tue Dec 22, 2009 06:23 pm

Yes, I wondered the same thing!
missgamecock

Return to Misc