Post-Traumatic Stress’s Surprisingly Positive Flip Side

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Post-Traumatic Stress’s Surprisingly Positive Flip Side

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 am

Patterns began to emerge in a follow-up study of more than 600 trauma survivors. People reported positive change in five areas: they had a renewed appreciation for life; they found new possibilities for themselves; they felt more personal strength; their relationships improved; and they felt spiritually more satisfied. Tedeschi developed an inventory to track and measure the phenomenon, and in 1995, he and Calhoun coined the term “post-traumatic growth.” Experiencing growth in the wake of trauma, Tedeschi asserts, is far more common than P.T.S.D. and can even coexist with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/magaz ... wanted=all

PTSD is common enough in preeclamptics; perhaps this is, too.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Post-Traumatic Stress’s Surprisingly Positive Flip Side

Postby aajatwins » Mon Mar 26, 2012 02:36 pm

Very nice!
it sounds trite, but what doesn't kill us really can make us stronger.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:52 pm

for myself I might have agreed with that, had i gone through the trauma and gotten to keep my baby at the end.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 am

Yes, I'd like to see it broken out by "type of trauma" or something; if these are active duty military who lost friends is their post-trauma course different from those who experienced severe injury with lasting physical consequences? How is the aftershock different in a PE trauma patient with a dead child but only long-term sequela different from a patient with a living child and a stroke?

But, in a way all studies open more questions like this. If they are good studies.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Misc