Preemie Baby Question!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Preemie Baby Question!

Postby alviarin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 01:17 am

I'm so sorry you lost your son Vincent to this terrible disease.

I don't have preemie experience, but I was on blood pressure meds for chronic hypertension during my last pregnancy. Some women are even put on Labetalol during pregnancy. I was on another common blood pressure drug, a calcium channel blocker. They did ask me to switch to a slightly different med in early pregnancy since there was more data on it's use during pregnancy.

If I were you, since it sounds like you are unsure on how or if you should proceed, I would schedule a pre-conception appointment with a MFM (https://www.smfm.org) specializing in high risk pregnancies. They should be able to test you for possible underlying disorders, discuss how any future pregnancies should be managed, and help you get a better idea of what your odds are in any future pregnancies.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Saga

Preemie Baby Question!

Postby Saga » Thu Jul 07, 2016 03:04 am

Hi,
I had my son Vincent on May 11th, 2016. My due date was in Oct but he came in May, 5 months before his due date due to Preeclampsia. He passed away shortly after he was born. He was 23 weeks 1lb 1oz and 13inch long. Has anyone else experience this?
My husband and I want to try again having another little one, it'll be #3. My first was born full term right on her due date. Remind you: My ex is the one I had my first with we broke up when my daughter was a few months old, she's 10 years old now. I worry about having Preeclampsia again and having a preemie baby, we are waiting for a year, May 11th will be a year.
I am taking Labetolol for my high blood pressure. I don't know if I'll be on it for life or not. Can we still have a baby while I take Labetolol or will they have to take me off of it? I don't know if having another baby is a good idea or not.

First time survivor from Preeclampsia and Hypertension.
For more information, please visit: http://www.preeclampsia.org

Return to “Parents of Preemies”