Cognitive Disabilities in Preemies

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Cognitive Disabilities in Preemies

Postby alexp » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:58 am

That is a horrifying statistic. [:(] It hits home with me today with all the problems my oldest is having...sigh...but, I wonder how that compares to the general population?

It seems like every other child you meet is on some kind of med or therapy or has a diagnosis, you know? I'll be interested to hear what others have to say on this topic.

PS: As a side note - I just thought of this - and it's not just in reference to Meredith but to all the newer preemies out there. I don't know how other countries do it, but in the US, almost all the states have some sort of Early Intervention program for children 0-3. An evaluation is free to anyone, and I know in La they will come to your house or child's day care...and then will provide services (also free, usually) at those places should the child need them. I so wish we had done this with Parker, but we didn't know about it.

We did use EI with the girls, who had some significant delays at first, and while we don't totally know what the future holds, it's looking like things are going to be fine for them. I believe EI had a lot to do with this! Speaking as a mom of preemies, I would encourage any parent to check out the EI program in their state. It can be a wonderful resource.

TOTALLY not saying anything is wrong with Meredith - or will be - I think she is going to do great [:)] - but I would recommend the eval to anyone. It really sets your mind at ease!

Cognitive Disabilities in Preemies

Postby paige_va » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:20 am

I read an article in the most recent issue of Preemie Magazine saying that 60% of all preemies have some sort of cognitive disability, whether it be ADD, ADHD, CP, learning disabilities, or mild mental retardation. [:0] That's a horrifying statistic, and as Meredith is only 12 weeks old (6 weeks adjusted), I would think that it will be a LONG time before we know whether or not we've dodged this bullet. What have others' experiences been with cognitive learning in their preemies???

Return to “Parents of Preemies”