NICU flashbacks years later?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
cara

Re : NICU flashbacks years later?

Postby cara » Sat Aug 29, 637361 11:59 am

The song for me is that "You'll think of me" Keith Urban song. A good friend of mine had twins about 4 months after G was born at the same hospital. I went to go see them and had to go to the NICU. I started crying immediately. The smell of vanilla will get me too. The pacifiers they used were vanilla scented for the babies.

christinab

Postby christinab » Sat Aug 29, 637361 9:32 am

I get teary eyed everytime I hear the song "BAby Boy" by Beyonce. I swear everyime we were driving to and from the hospital that song was always playing. WhenI would hold Anthony, I would sing to him," baby boy you stay on my mind, you fullfill my every fantasy". Of course I ment it for being a mom and having him here with me. I even have that song downloaded on my cell phone and everytime I hear it, I rememeber driving to the hospital to see him.

Also, when people see my son and tell me how big he is for his age, I start to cry. My mind always goes back to when he was in his incabator. He was so small, I was scared to hold him at first.

Those are just a few things that bring back flashbacks. And no, you are not crazy. If that was the case I think We all would be considered crazy.

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat Aug 29, 637361 8:45 am

When Zach was in the NICU and when he passed, Train's song "Calling All Angels" was all over the radio... Andy and I still think of it as our song for Zach. It came on on our way to his funeral and that song always stops me dead in my tracks now...

alexp

Postby alexp » Fri Aug 28, 637361 7:12 am

My song for the girls was Dido's "White Flag"...only because of the chorus...otherwise it doesn't really "fit" the situation, LOL.

youtan

Postby youtan » Tue Jul 14, 637361 4:58 am

The song for me when Nathanial was in the NICU - Sarah McLachlan's Angel. Makes me cry still today....

wcarder

Postby wcarder » Tue Jul 14, 637361 2:31 am

There was a song when Kenzie was in the NICU that I SWEAR I heard every time I was driving to or from the NICU, and whenever I hear it - I remember clear as day. Also, there was a perfume I used to wear back then, and when I smell that, it always takes me back. It's really strange how memories can come back so strongly out of nowhere. But, it's sometimes good to remember - especially when your kids are driving you NUTS (0; When Kenz makes me crazy, and I think of her being so sick, and how afraid I was of losing her, I am able to step back and be grateful I have her there - making me crazy.

youtan

Postby youtan » Mon Jul 13, 637361 11:37 pm

Oh gosh ya!! Its been 6 1/2 yrs. We had a moment last night when I just hugged tight with tears streaming down. He's used to these emotional moments with his Mom. Sometimes the emotions just suddenly happen out of the blue. But, I find that as he gets older and thinks that I'm too busy for him or that we don't care enough - it sends me over the edge. I have to watch myself - he's probably already learned how to manipulate me that way [;)]!

jenchar

Postby jenchar » Mon Jul 13, 637361 10:41 pm

Wow! I just did this on the way to work this morning. I got tears in my eyes when a song came on the radio with the first words: "Welcome to existance..."

I flashed back to myself laying on the operating room table as they had just extracted Meghan from me. She wasn't crying...it was eerily quiet. My oldest came out screaming.

The worry overwhelmed me that day and I remember just repeating over and over again. "My baby! My baby! My baby!" I knew that she was in for the fight of her life. The staff were so concerned for me that they gave me versed to calm me down.

I don't think I'll ever get over that experience. I think it was what a psychologist would call post traumatic stress reaction.

So, yes, you are very normal. Hug her tight! I'm going to do the same when I get home from work today.

Jen

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Mon Jul 13, 637361 8:03 pm

LOL Sarah, no you are absolutely not crazy! [:)] What kind of soap was it, do you remember the name? Ours was a brand name that started with S....ooh, it's on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite get it. I'll think and get back to you. Just wondering if it might be the same soap you had too.

Edited to say: I just remembered the soap name....Steris.

bethaniesmommy

Postby bethaniesmommy » Mon Jul 13, 637361 5:34 pm

Oh My Gosh Jennifer!!! I have that same thing when I smell the smell of the soap! It's actually the smell of the soap that was in my hospital room before and right after I had her. Everytime I smell it I go straight back to those first few very rough days of the NICU and I instantly feel as though I am going to throw up. Isn't that weird! I thought I was just crazy with that one, lol.

I love reading these, thanks ladies!!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”