What weight did your baby come home at?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
rebecca

Re : What weight did your baby come home at?

Postby rebecca » Sun May 20, 637364 12:47 pm

Samantha was born at 34.2 weeks weighing in at 3 pounds 11 ounces. She went down to 3 pounds 8 ounces, and we brought her home at just over 4lbs (which was the weight minimum at our NICU to be released).

crogers

Postby crogers » Thu May 10, 637364 7:10 am

Lillian was around 4 lbs 6 oz. when she came home. That seems like so long ago...now she's around 20 lbs!! How time flies...

cara

Postby cara » Tue May 08, 637364 4:39 pm

Grant was 5 lbs 6 oz at birth, during his stay, he dropped to right below 4 lbs. (ummm like 3 lbs 15 oz) He came home 4 weeks later right below his birthweight.

He was eating around 30 mL when he got out and we increased every other day by 20 mL, as tolerated.

Good luck!

mikeys mom

Postby mikeys mom » Tue May 08, 637364 11:25 am

Mikey was a little under 4lbs when he came home. (smaller than the chicken I made for dinner last night...)

bonnie
Forum Moderator

Postby bonnie » Sat Apr 28, 637364 6:03 pm

Ilanit was born at 3lb 14oz. She dropped down to 3lb 2oz at her lowest weight. She came home at exactly 4lb 0oz.

As for the "nippling" thing, I remember going through the exact same thing with both kids. The dr explained it to us like this: Initially, when they start "nippling" their feeds they don't have to "nipple" the whole amount they need (i.e. Ilanit's feedings started out at 3 cc's every 2 hours and increased by 2 cc's every other feed until she got to a "full feed" for her weight which was 24cc's). However, as the amount increases, it becomes more difficult for them to actually "nipple" the full amount each time. I remember in particular one day coming in and crying because the day before she "nippled" every feed and then that day she only "nippled" 1 of her feeds. Our hospital had a rule that they need to "nipple" all feeds in under 15 minutes for 48 hours before they can go home. If they are gavage fed, then the clock starts over. I was devastated. It turns out, that the day before she was only needing to "nipple" on average 11 cc's. However the next day she was up to "full feeds". Her tiny body just couldn't handle it.

A few days later, the "light bulb" turned on and she started "nippling" them all over again.

It's so hard, but give her time. . . You know the routine, you've been there before [;)]

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Sat Apr 28, 637364 5:40 pm

Victoria was 4pounds 2oz when she came home.

Glad to hear Layla is doing well...

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Sat Apr 28, 637364 2:43 pm

It's so nice to hear stories of NICU babies doing so well and getting ready to come home from the hospital!!!

Meredith was 3 lbs 14 oz when she was released. I still remember how small she looked in that carseat! [:)]

srelm70

Postby srelm70 » Sat Apr 28, 637364 1:01 pm

Hello. We are waiting and hoping our son Jacob will come home from NICU this weekend. He weighed 5 pounds, 5 ounces at birth on 10/31 (I was one day short of being 36 weeks pregnant) He lost some weight but is now back up to just an ounce under 5 pounds. He is taking 40 cc's every 3 hours by bottle and his his feeding tube came out this morning. Right now we are trying to go only for 2 feedings and let him totally rest in between. Tomorrow night my husband and I are going to take an infant CPR class, just in case and we also requested an apnea monitor. The neonatologist said it wasn't probably necessary but since our insurance covers it, we're going to have one. I am almost afraid to bring him home, we have 3 older children who are 14, 12 and 5 - I am still battling the effects of PE and hoping I can handle all of this. My husband is on leave until the week of Thanksgiving and then I'll be on my own.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sat Apr 28, 637364 4:52 am

My 34 weeker was born at 4lb 4 oz. Lost to 3 lb 11 oz. Came home at 4 lb 7 oz (2000 grams, the criteria for the hospital he was at, for weight gain before going home.) Even then he was so tiny.

The baby getting tired out can be soooo frustrating. My ds briefly was tube fed because he was getting tired out. Even though he only nipple fed the first few days he started eating. He also took a few days to gain the smallest amount, before finally coming home. I think they really do use a lot of energy to do things "normal" babies just do (eat, poop etc.)

Hopefully your little one will do what she needs to, to get home soon!

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Sat Apr 28, 637364 1:51 am

Gabe was 5 lb 12 oz when he came home--a regular chunker! Of course, he was a chunky preemie to start with. I'm so excited to hear Layla might be coming home soon. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”