lactoce intolerance experience

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
raindrop

Re : lactoce intolerance experience

Postby raindrop » Fri Feb 03, 2006 05:34 pm

Cindy
you sound like you are describing my son with all you are saying.. Wyatt stayed rattly sounding for months, with him being dx with gerd, asthma (only those two at the time) and constant allergy symptoms, that would not go away, he would get sick at nothing and it would put him in hospital most times or very close to it. Last year after him having RSV then 2 wks later having pneumonia, the ped suggested getting him allergy tested. They also did about a dozen foods on him since he had problems with milk already. he came up positive to rice. We removed all the rice from his diet, almost all his symptoms disappeared. Then they gradually started to come back, so we had him tested for all foods allergy dr could test for and he is allergic to around 14 foods and drinks plus a milk and corn cross-reaction intolerance. We are also finding out now that he also may have celiac disease. But at about 20mo old when he was first tested until his 2yr check-up the girls at front desk at peds office said they thought we had changed drs because we hadnt been to the dr in 3mo with Wyatt being sick. he was there almost every week prior.

I would suggest seeing an allergy dr for testing, it couldnt hurt to rule that out. But it did make a world of difference for us. my email is [email protected] if you would like for me to give you some links that may help out. Good Luck and hope he feels better.

jaxsmom

Postby jaxsmom » Wed Jan 25, 2006 09:21 pm

Hi

Jaxon's never showed up on xray we had several tests done and the GI never metioned aspiration, we just assumed if was from his reflux, he had a fundo done Jan/05 but the raspy breathing continued .. His breathing was all the time, but was definately much worse after he ate..... Finally in July, 6 months after the fundo we said there is something wrong with his breathing and thats when they did a feeding study and it was diagnosed then...

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Jan 25, 2006 01:47 pm

What kind of mucousy stuff are you talking about? If he is throwing up mucous, that IS a sign of asthma in a young child. When a young child has asthma, they can't clear it out like adults can. So it goes and sits in their stomachs. They eventually get rid of it by throwing up mucous. If you have any questions about Asthma, I know a lot. Kirsten has severe asthma and I have mild asthma.

akemt

Postby akemt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 01:20 pm

Both f my girls are lactose intollerant, if you end up wanting more info there. We never had any breathing-related problems.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:52 am

It really depends on what the cuase is. If its osmething like asthma, humidity could make it worse or it could make it better depending on how the person is (for me humidity makes mine worse as does heat, cold and dry is best for me)

If its a dry wheeze the humidity may help but if its already a wet wheeze I am not sure if it would or not. It probably wouldn't hurt to try. A nice expierement (and cheap one) would be to steam up the bathroom while taking a shower and leave him in there with you the entire time. If he sounds better then more humidity may help, if he doens't then it probably won't

cindync

Postby cindync » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:42 am

With the aspiration, would that show up on xray? His GI doc never suggested that.....would the noisy breathing still be all the time? Or just after eating? His is all the time, although he is quieter when he is sleeping, but boy when he wakes up!

He goes back to the pedi next week for his RSV shot, if he is still sounding yucky, I will request a pulmonoligist, because at that point it will have been since Halloween. I was going to take him in yesterday, but I could not swing it due to my other sons birthday party finally happening!

Does anyone think a humidifier will do anything at night? We have a humidistat, but that is not forcing out great quantities of humidity like a humidifier? The docs have never said anything about one.

jaxsmom

Postby jaxsmom » Wed Jan 25, 2006 09:34 am

Hi

I was also going to suggest, has he been tested to see if he is aspirating into his lungs? My son Jaxon sounded like that for so long and we just always thoughtit was from his reflux, then he had the fundo and it still didn't help finally they did a feeding study and we discovered he was aspirating on thin and thick liquids... He was also on nebulizers and such but still didn't help... Just a suggestion...

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Jan 24, 2006 09:42 pm

Asthma can be very easy to live with. Both of my cousins that had it really really bad as babies/toddlers/preschoolers by the time they hit 10-12 years old basically had 0 problems with it (unlike me who didn't pick it up until like age 15 and am on daily meds). It really depends on what they feel the cause is.

iansmom

Postby iansmom » Tue Jan 24, 2006 03:03 pm

YES!! Both my sister & I, her two girls & Drew have or have had (as a child) problems with milk. But you are confusing lactose intolerance with dairy protein intolerance. What you are describing is typically a delayed reaction to dairy protein - very different from lactose intolerance - as you have discovered. He may have both, but you need to focus on the milk protein (casein). I mention this because if he is as bad as Drew, you will really have to read labels for the "casein" & milk protein. Good luck!! Drew is on rice or almond milk and gets no other dairy products. It's not easy, but his congestion is LOTS better.

mrsike

Postby mrsike » Tue Jan 24, 2006 01:57 pm

Taylor's pulmo did have me switch her to Lactose free formula and while she still uses her inhalers she doesn't need them as much and she is certainly less wheezy. She wasn't so much lactose intolerant as she was just irritated by it.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”