periactin

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
cindync

Re : periactin

Postby cindync » Fri Mar 10, 2006 06:41 am

Michelle

No I have not decided yet to do it. I did a little bit of research online, and it is an antihistamine, given to some people to induce appetite. When I typed in periactin and preemies I did come to a website about feeding issues, and some people on there were using it in this way. But of course, it was a mixed bag: some it worked wonders (weight gain), some it made their kid/baby hyper, some lethargic. Some it had the opposite: weight loss!

Not sure what to do. We already do the duocal in his bottles, he eats every few hours, just not much. He is 9 months and 13 lb 4 oz, which is not horrible, he does not look malnourished or antying, but he also has no fat, you feel his back bones etc when you hold him, I mean there is no padding on this boy!

He is otherwise healthy (his breathing has returned to normal FINALLY!) and doing great developmentally, so I do not know if the extra weight is for me or for him---you know, like will it help him anyway? Is being underweight affecting him negativley? I have always wanted a chubby baby, but I do not want to use a drug to get that if it might cause side effects.

But then looking at my daughters growth chart, she was 16 lb 9 oz at one year, but she was also 32 inches long! She was only a month early and weighed 5 lb 10 oz, and she was a mere wisp of a thing at a year (she was off the chart for weight (less than 5) on one end and then off the chart the other way for height.

So thats that. I need to look into it more. I was really hoping that people on here had some experience, but it does not seem to be the case.

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:04 pm

I haven't heard of it. Are you definately starting it?

mamc2003

Postby mamc2003 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 04:00 pm

You're right, it is an antihistamine. It can be given to boost appetite or for over-activity. Audrey's ped gave it to us for her hyper-activity. It worked real well at calming her down...it put her right to sleep:) She took 2 tsp at night. I didn't notice her eating more when she took it, though.

That's about all I know about it. Hope it works for you.

cindync

periactin

Postby cindync » Thu Mar 09, 2006 03:22 pm

this is the drug that Aidens ped wants to start him on to increase his appetite? he wants him to take in more calories, and supposedly this will increase his appetite? The nurse is checking up on it now, because she does not know much about it. i thought last week he said it was an antihistamine, but she was not sure. I will look up online too. He takes in about 550 calories a day, about 3 oz per bottle, with duocal. occasionaly he will take 4, in fact the last few days he has been doing 4 oz.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”