Carseat Help

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
darcynulph

Re : Carseat Help

Postby darcynulph » Sun May 21, 2006 10:43 pm

I had to purchase convertible car seats because my dd exceeded the length WAY BEFORE the weight for her infant carrier. It seems as if she will remain rear facing forever.

cindync

Postby cindync » Sun May 21, 2006 08:27 pm

Aiden will be nowhere near 20 lbs at one year, which is June 1st. He is currently barely over 14 lbs. But, he is almost 29 inches long, so he is getting long for the infant carrier, but he still falls asleep a lot in it, so then I just have to carry him in it to places, so it is still convenient! I am sure he would love to be front facing, but that will not happen for a while, and i do not like to use our big Britax car seat backwards because you can not see around it it is so big, so I do not know what to do.

At least we are not Britney Spears, she needs Catherine's "seatnut"!

onfaith

Postby onfaith » Sat May 20, 2006 08:40 am

We moved Sophie to a convertible carseat at 8 months, for several reasons, one of which was I felt she would be much more comfortable. I have included a link to a site that discusses safety and car seats regulations for the US and Canada, you can click on your state to find out what the exact laws are, as they vary so much from place to place. Good luck!

http://www.inventiveparent.com/state-laws.htm

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri May 19, 2006 11:20 pm

Size and age don't really matter. The carseat mavens are confident that children are better off rear-facing for as long as possible. My favorite quote from my favorite seatnut (our ped), "better a cast than a coffin". If you are worried that she's too long for her infant seat then a rear-facing convertible makes sense. Here in AR kids need to be in a seat until age 6, so we've ended up with ones that comfortably span 20-60 lbs. My 9 year old is still in a booster seat because he's such a shrimp... he may need it to drive to college.

One tip that I can pass along is to check out your local children's hospital. Ours (thanks in large part to the "seatnut") has certified car seat technicians who are happy to give advice for specific situations and who will check to make sure that your seats are correctly installed. It's easy and it's free!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri May 19, 2006 10:26 pm

We moved both boys at 1 year of age and they were each 28/30 lbs at 1 year (they both reached 20lbs at 6-7 months).

We left my youngest in the seat until he outgrew it at age 2 and he wanted a booster seat like his brother.

patricks mommy

Postby patricks mommy » Fri May 19, 2006 03:35 pm

Like Cara stated, the law is 20 pounds and 1 year of age. They have recently stated that waiting even longer to turn them around is even better. There isn't any harm in leaving her in the infant carrier until she reaches the 21 lbs otherwise just purchase a car seat that can be rear or forward facing. There are some nice car seats that are forward, rear, and then move into toddler seats. I had to move my son out of the infant carrier before I moved him to facing forward because he was really long and didn't fit well in the infant carrier. I think I turned him around when he was about 13-14 months old. I just waited until I had to move the car seat for another reason and that was when we decided to switch him around.

cara

Postby cara » Fri May 19, 2006 02:30 pm

The law here is over 20 lbs AND 1 year. I'd go for the convertible but have it rear facing. I opted to leave Grant rear facing until his DUE DATE b/c that was what State Police recommended. I know if you call them up in Louisiana, they will make a point to either help you out or meet you somewhere to assist in any carseat questions/installation issues. HTH!

molly419

Postby molly419 » Fri May 19, 2006 02:16 pm

Sorry, you are either going to have to keep her in her current carseat or get a convertiable carseat like Sabrinia suggested, but it will still have to face back wards. The "rules" are based on height/weight not age....but of course, most children are over 20lbs at around one year--except for our miracles. :)

laraeamie

Postby laraeamie » Fri May 19, 2006 02:05 pm

Neither of my two living children were preemies but neither were 20 pounds at 1. I did however change to a convertible car seat at about 6 months with both of them since the law is 20 pounds and one year. My daughter was 15 months before she was turned around!! If you need

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri May 19, 2006 01:57 pm

Infant carriers go by height and weight. You don't have to have her in a carrier. You can get a convertible car seat (most manufacturers do these) that are from 5-40lbs and can be rear or forward facing. Kirsten weighed 15lbs 3 oz at a year. We moved her to a convertible car seat at 9 months. They just have to stay rear facing for the one year and 20lbs. The car seat that we had was by Graco, was $125, and when rear facing was reclined a bit so that smaller babies could breathe easier. It would have been great if we had had this when she was tiny as th ecarrier sat up to high and her head flopped over. Things changed a lot in 6 years when we had Sara and the carriers recline a better now. Sara's convertible car seat runs from 5-40lbs as well.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”