Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Weight gain issues

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Weight gain issues

Postby paljane8 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:13 am

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:13 am

I am sorry Robyn! When do you get the lab results back? Will you keep us updated with the GI appts? I really hope you have some answers soon. Oliver is a trooper!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

ds-8yrs, dd-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/12/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby aimeejane » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:40 am

by aimeejane (589 Posts), Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:40 am

Robyn, I'm sorry to hear about your concerns. Before reading your update, I was going to suggest malabsorbtion issues. If he's eating more than your 5yo, you should be seeing some sort of gain. Please let us know what the tests show! You'll all be in our thoughts!

Aimee Woolwine
Georgia Chapter Interim President

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/k/kalentyler/ (Pswd: ilovemommy)
aimeejane

Postby deerhart » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:00 am

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:00 am

Hmm, I don't know but is there any way to check his metabolism rate?

I think what really throws me thinking about this is that if he weighed 5-10 lbs heavier the docs probably wouldn't even blink at him eating like mad and not gaining any weight and I think its perfectly normal (or well it is here in MY house) for a child his age to eat everything in sight and gain basically nothing. Both my boys have/are doing it between 12-36 months and they gained very little weight during that time (Alex gained 4-5lbs total in those 2 years, but gained 3 of those the last year and Mason hasn't gained any weight from about 11 months and he's 16 months now). The difference really being is they gained a ton of weight in their first year.

Hopefully the speciallist can figure it all out for you and hopefully it will just end up being how he is!

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Interm Chapter President - St. Louis/Missouri
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies