Joshua 6 months (now pregnant again)

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
cassie05

Re : Joshua 6 months (now pregnant again)

Postby cassie05 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 08:26 am

My situation was a little different as well, as my daughter didnt make it and i was trying to get pregnant. I got pregnant with twins 4 months after having Kaitlyn, I spent a lot of time on bedrest and in the hospital but had great peris and made it to 32+3 with the girls. Good luck and congrats!

surefoott

Postby surefoott » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:36 pm

I just wanted to ditto what Catherine (akemt) said. My two oldest children are 16 months apart and I can relate totally to many of the things on her list. Mine were girl and boy so we didn't have the clothing situation....but in any case, Catherine is right: there are MANY positives to having your children close. Many congrats to you and I hope your pregnancy is long and boring.

akemt

Postby akemt » Tue Oct 03, 2006 06:20 pm

I just wanted to add a congratulations, Shelly! My situation is very different from yours, but I too am expecting a "surpise" despite protection. A bit of a shock! I'm sure the same holds true for you --perhaps doubly so. I don't know about mothers of preemies, but I do know there are a great number of women who experience "Irish twins", and there are some here on the board.

How is Joshua doing now?

While my experience was probably different from what you can expect (I've never had a preemie), here are some of the positive things I can tell you about our having two girls 17 months apart:
  • There was no worry of "regression" to baby-like habbits for our first.
    Because they pretty much play with the same types of things, buying two of everything solves alot of sibling rivalry.
    They are great friends and play well together now which helps alleviate the "we're stuck at home with two little ones" boredom for them.
    If they're the same gender and depending on size difference in the two, this might apply to you too: Clothing is/was easier because I still had everything from my older daughter. What she outgrew went into another drawer of our huge dresser (with 9 large draws) to be used by Lara in a few months. Even the dresses are lined up by size on their hangers --it's actually quite cute. And the major bonus is that I didn't even have to bother packing things away and unpacking again later on, we pack them up after Lara has outgrown them and we are done!
    They share a room well
    Lara wants to use the potty now that Emma is trained. I sure hope that effort is fruitful before this babe is born! So, while it might not be fabulous to think of two kiddos in diapers at the same time, I can tell you not only that it isn't that bad, but also that if you're lucky, they just might train around the same time when they're older.
    We didn't have to buy that much more stuff or rearrange the house (you know, like add that changing table back in somewhere or baby-proof again), since we already had all the baby supplies, etc.
    We also didn't have any of the "how to tell/prepare the toddler" type of experiences either! Our oldest, while we told her openly at times, just wasn't able to comprehend it...and it really didn't matter, either. When the baby came, she adjusted.

Hmm...I'm sure others could come add more. Like I said, I don't know exactly how these will all apply with adding prematurity into the mix, but I wanted you to be able to see that there can be positives atleast to having children close in age.

Again, congratulations and best wishes! I hope you can get in to see a peri soon and that things will work out well,

shel81495

Postby shel81495 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 04:18 pm

I went to the OB today just for an ultrasound to date it. The U/S said I am 10 weeks but i dont think its right. My BP was 137/72 yesterday and 155/88 today which really scares me. I never had a peri with my last pregnancy and am going to tell my OB that I want a referral. I am waiting for my OB office to call me to schedule my first appointment.

Thanks again ladies.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:29 am

Shelly,

my situation was slightly different in that my 26-weeker didn't make it and I was trying to get pregnant again. But I did get pregnant just 7 months later. I saw my high-risk OB the day after I got a positive test, and then every two weeks until 24 weeks, then weekly from then on. I made it to 30 weeks before delivery because of pe again.

Because your pe was early onset, your risk of getting it again is high our experts say:

If patient developes severe preeclampsia before 28 weeks, recurrence rate in subsequent pregnancy is 60%. One third of those will be before 28 weeks again.

(Link: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331)

As the other ladies have said, you need to be seen by a peri straight away. I would call today. Best of luck.

hmoore

Postby hmoore » Mon Oct 02, 2006 03:37 pm

I agree with Heather I would get to a Perri as soon as you can. Congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope it is long and boring.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Mon Oct 02, 2006 03:19 pm

Hi, Shelly. I didn't deliver very early - we made it to 36 weeks. If I were you, I would get in asap to a good peri (if you don't already have one from last pregnancy). It will be your best defense against PE in the future. Best wishes to you with this fourth little one! Was Joshua your only PE pregnancy?

shel81495

Joshua 6 months (now pregnant again)

Postby shel81495 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 03:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone that delivered very early (26 weeks) has experienced another pregnancy right away? We have used protection the 2 times we have had sex since April!!

We dont know how far along I am yet but it would have to be about 3 months. I am SOO scared that something will happen again especially since I haven't recovered from Josh.

Any advice would be helpful.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”