patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)

Postby kara » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks gals! I was ok during the visit and shortly after...but as the evening goes on, I'm getting a little more down-spirited. We will see family this weekend and I don't really look forward to talking about it with them...ugh.

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:20 pm

Kara,

I sorry you are dealing with this. Katlyne's PDA was closed about 1 week of life. All I remember is looking at her chest x-rays and seeing a tiny staple in her heart.

Please know that we are all thinking of you and Avery.

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Thu Oct 19, 2006 09:29 pm

Oh Kara, I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I don't know what to say especially since I have never been in this situation. Please know that I am thinking of you and Avery.{{{hugs}}}

akemt

Postby akemt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 09:29 pm

I have no experience with PDA's or preemies, but wanted to add my thoughts. I'm so sorry to hear the news and sorry as well that you weren't prepared for it...I atleast have an idea of how that goes.

Sending my prayers that all will go well in the near- and far- future,

kara
Forum Moderator

patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)

Postby kara » Thu Oct 19, 2006 08:26 pm

So, many of you preemie parents have some experience with PDA. DD had a raging loud heart murmur at birth and in the months following. At 5 months pediatrician could no longer hear it and we thought YAY!! it must have closed, only to be told differently by Echo and peds cardiology. So we schedule an appointment for 6 months out...that was today. PDA is still there and still raging. Now, we know we are lucky because it has not caused her any breathing or eating problems. She continues to gain modest amounts of weight, but is staying on a curve. Peds cardiology said today that we will wait another year, but since it hasn't closed by now (11 months), it will more than likely not close on it's own. This means we will be looking at surgical methods in a year. I was just sure that it would have closed by now. I never get my hopes up about anything....but my bubble got burst today, that is for sure. We did not go the indomethicin route when she was in NICU because it was not causing visible problems, and there are so many side effects to the medication. Anyone have a cath. procedure to ligate the PDA?

Return to “Parents of Preemies”