Speech

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
momtooneboy

Re : Speech

Postby momtooneboy » Fri Jul 14, 637684 3:05 pm

Great website Erin--thanks!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Jul 03, 637684 9:07 am

hehe I can so understand that. We have been through 3.5 years of speech therapy with my oldest and watched my youngest like a HAWK. Still many times with my youngest I have to step back and get out of my every little itty bitty thing is jsut a sign of an issue and let him develop at his pace and stop comparing him to his brother!

justcyt

Postby justcyt » Mon Jul 03, 637684 5:59 am

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm trying not to freak out, but I also want to make sure I'm not missing something early on so that we can take the necessary steps to help however we can.

Kennedy recently had an ear infection that we are just finishing up the antibotics on. The first one she has ever had. But she has always turned towards noises and responds when I say "Kennedy, look!"

I appreciate the comments...you ladies always help me keep things in perspective and give me different points of view. I hate how I got here, but I love being here!!!

Thanks again-

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Jul 03, 637684 5:37 am

http://www.comeunity.com/disability/spe ... tones.html

here is a milestones check list with articulation. If you look, the M sound should be fully developed between 18-24 months
quote:Correctly pronounces most vowels and n, m, p, h, especially in the beginning of syllables and short words. Also begins to use other speech sounds.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Jul 03, 637684 4:18 am

No No No No No
different sounds come in at different times for kids and mama is notoriously hard. I think both my kids got this one in the 15-17 month range. Further, there is still gender confusion and mom and dad will not be limited to just mom and dad until almost 2 years of age (or older). Its perfectly normal for a 1 year old to have a single word and for an 18 month year old to have only 5 words!!!!!!!!!!!! So if she's calling males dada she's good and she just may not have yet developed the mmm sound. (you should listen to see if she calls you anything like ahhahh when she sees you, thats a partial word and counts)

At 1 year of age
Uses one or more words with meaning (this may be a fragment of a word)
Understands simple instructions, especially if vocal or physical cues are given
Practices inflection
Is aware of the social value of speech

18 months
Has vocabulary of approximately 5-20 words
Vocabulary made up chiefly of nouns
Some echolalia (repeating a word or phrase over and over)
Much jargon with emotional content
Is able to follow simple commands

24 months
Can name a number of objects common to his surroundings
Is able to use at least two prepositions, usually chosen from the following: in, on, under
Combines words into a short sentence-largely noun-verb combinations (mean) length of sentences is given as 1.2 words
Approximately 2/3 of what child says should be intelligible
Vocabulary of approximately 150-300 words
Rhythm and fluency often poor
Volume and pitch of voice not yet well-controlled
Can use two pronouns correctly: I, me, you, although me and I are often confused
My and mine are beginning to emerge
Responds to such commands as "show me your eyes (nose, mouth, hair)"

As for hearing, does she turn her head to sounds? Does she turn her head for a variety of sounds, both high and low pitched? Has she had any ear infections, eye infections, colds etc.. that could lead to fluid behind the eardrums? When Alex had fluid, he did not turn his heads to sounds, even the ringing of bells right by his ears because he was no longer hearing certain frequencies.

The first year is a HUGE change in langauge development for the child. This is why many docs wait until at least 2 years to make speech referrals (becuase the change is so big, that in some kids it can be slightly delayed some). Even then, if the child is on the low side of vocabulary but is putting 2 words together, the doctor is more likely to wait to see if their is a burst of words.

ileana

Postby ileana » Mon Jul 03, 637684 3:48 am

Corinthia,

Robert is about a week younger than Kennedy and born at 36w, so about the same adjusted age. Maybe just a week ago he consistently started saying mama to me or calling for me and we only heard him saying dada twice.

I am curious what the others will say, but my doctors always say things happen at their own pace. We will go for the 1 year appointment on Thu, so I did not talk about this yet.

Of course there's nothing wrong with having her hearing tested, but I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty sure Robert's hearing is just fine because he always turns towards any noise and hears everything.

justcyt

Speech

Postby justcyt » Mon Jul 03, 637684 12:13 am

Hi All-
I am just wondering how to tell if my daughter has a speech impairment? Up until now, I haven't thought that much about it really. She seemed to be doing okay; she says DaDa and blabbers but has never said MaMa. But at her year appointment, the doctor stated she should be saying MaMa to me and DaDa to her father and she does not. If I ask "Where is Daddy?" she looks at him so I feel she understands, but she definitely does not speak it. The doctor said there should be no differences at a year and being born prematurely really wouldn't impact this. She told me to watch for a month and if nothing, then bring her back to have her hearing tested. I want to do everything I can to help her so any advice is appreciated...things to look for, ways to help her, etc.

Thanks for listening...

Return to “Parents of Preemies”