More eye surgery

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
timelessbeauty

Re : More eye surgery

Postby timelessbeauty » Fri May 11, 2007 11:14 pm

Will say prayers for all of you that all goes well and is over before you know it. I don't think surgery is ever a minor issue and as a mother you have a right to be concerned. Will be looking for updates!

molly419

Postby molly419 » Fri May 11, 2007 08:12 am

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I really do not need to be so concerned as I previously was. :P Being a preemie mom seems to always put me in freak mode, not matter how minor the issue at hand is.

Her surgery is set for June 19th. I will let you guys know how it goes.

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Fri May 11, 2007 07:23 am

Molly,

I have no experiance with this type of surgery, but wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and Abigail.

Good luck and positive thoughts

liza

Postby liza » Thu May 10, 2007 07:50 pm

Hi Molly,
Teagan had the strabismus surgery last year. The worst part was that the doctor was running late and Teagan couldn't have anything to eat or drink. And of course it is hard to hand her over to the nurse, but they were really nice. The surgery was really fast, and the doctor came in to tell us everything was fine before we knew it! Teagan was fine the rest of the day, a little sleepy, but no pain. Good luck! I will be sending positive thoughts your way!
Liza :)

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Wed May 09, 2007 11:37 am

Strabismus is ALMOST as common in preemies as ROP. The thing about it is if you correct it early on, the retina will not be affected. If you wait until about 6-8 years, the retina is used to being "turned off" in the eye that is not aligned and will not recover. Surgery is scary but you are absolutley doing the right thing for her vision.

tracey

Postby tracey » Mon May 07, 2007 09:11 pm

Hi Molly,
My daugther Lily just had surgery on both eyes for strabismus on February 21st of this year -- less than two weeks shy of her 2nd birthday, and a month after our son was born! (In fact, if you do a search, you will find my thread asking about it, too) DH and I were sooooo stressed about it, particularly the general anaesthetic part (kept me awake at night just thinking about it), but I can honestly say that it was far less traumatic than we thought it would be. Sure it wasn't easy to hand her over to a "stranger" to be taken to to the operating room, or to see her poor little eyes so red and sore looking but she really handled it like a champ, and it didn't seem like the pain lasted too too long. As Fiona said, the post-op drops were by far the worst part of the whole experience. She has since had two follow-ups, with a third to come in a month's time, and so far, it seems the surgery was a success, and she will not need any more (fingers crossed).
Best of luck to you and Abigail. When is her surgery?

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Mon May 07, 2007 02:23 pm

Sorry Abigail has to go through another surgery Molly. I know that it does not get any easier no matter how many they have been through. I do not have any experience with this type of surgery but always looks at the pics at our peds optho office and I am amazed at how much correction there is in the before and afters pics. Good luck and keep us updated as it gets closer.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Mon May 07, 2007 11:12 am

Jay had surgery to correct a divergent squint - his right eye looked outwards. I think he was around 2 1/2 and it was done as an emergency for fear he'd lose sight in that eye.

He is still checked every six months (he's now 8), but though when he's tired, you can see the eye straying a little, his brain pretty much keeps it under control.

At the time of the surgery, the most difficult thing was getting the post-op drops in. He stayed home for 5 days from nursery, but was fine.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon May 07, 2007 11:01 am

Oh Molly, of course you're worried. It's surgery, no matter how routine or needed! DD has to go in to have her vision checked again in about 6 months. She had ROP I, so we aren'tas concerned about her needing surgery, but it's stilla scary thought. So, no experience here, but wanted to offer support. Abigail has sure had more than her fair share for her young age. We will be thinking about you guys!

molly419

More eye surgery

Postby molly419 » Mon May 07, 2007 09:59 am

Abigail was seen by the eye doctor last week, and she needs more surgery to correct her vision.

She has had two laser eye surgeries to save her vision due to ROP. Now she needs surgery for strabismus. Strabismus occurs when the eyes do not align up together.

I know that the surgery is minor and needed, but I am still worried. Has anyone's child needed surgery for strabismus?

Return to “Parents of Preemies”