Transfusion..any experience with this?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
mommyboo

Re : Transfusion..any experience with this?

Postby mommyboo » Sun Feb 05, 637989 7:52 pm

With my last, we could always tell a difference after a transfusion. She was still anemic after we brought her home and had to give her iron with her feeds. I know they almost gave me a transfusion after I hemorrhaged. With as tired as I was and sick as I was when they sent me home, I wish they had done the transfusion. Instead, I battled with anemia for the next 6 months. It's good the doctors are on top of it. Our ped didn't check our dd's iron after she was released and we ended up with more problems later on.

amiejo

Postby amiejo » Sun Feb 05, 637989 4:57 pm

We had an amazing 32 transfusions within the first month and a half of Alyssa's life. I cant remember how many were blood and how many were platelet. Anyway, she obviously couldn't make her own blood cells for awhile. this was the only way she had any energy to spare at all.

As far as feedings, Alyssa only took 40 mls when she left the NICU at 3 months old!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sat Feb 04, 637989 6:58 pm

No preeemie transfusions, but a gal (and probably lots of gals) on the forum here had one a few days after she delivered her preemie, and she was a totally different person!! It should really help with her energy level. I must say my preemie though only drank 30-40 mls her first 3 months...we didn't get to the 50mls stage until she was 4 months. Hope she's putting on the weight from all that food...and hopefully she will soon be guzzling it down again!

Hang in there. The roller coaster ride will be over....not soon enough, but soon!

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Sat Feb 04, 637989 3:42 pm

My son had to get 17 blood transfusions and 4 platelet transfusions. He always looked better after them and seemed to want to be awake longer after. But it was hard to tell sometimes because he had to get so many.

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Sat Feb 04, 637989 1:15 pm

We had 7 blood transfusions and 1 platelet transfusion between both of my girls. I had blood donors consisting of close friends and family, donating weekly to keep us with a fresh unit of blood when we needed it. Transfusions are scary, but DO make a huge difference in energy level which should help her with being able to eat since the suck, swallow, breathe requires alot of energy. My girls would look and act completely different after getting a transfusion. I hope that this is the answer for you all and that she gets home real soon! Keep us posted.

misty costner

Transfusion..any experience with this?

Postby misty costner » Sat Feb 04, 637989 10:17 am

After a nasty bout with reflux, Elizabeth seemed to be getting better, and we were thinking about going home. Then three days ago, she stopped eating for the most part, or she would be so exhausted that she couldn't finish a bottle (50 mls). She was born at 33/2, and is now almost 39 weeks, and the doctors said she should be guzzling her feedings.

Apparently her anemia worsened (a 25 reading?) and yesterday she had a transfusion. I know these are common in the NICU world. She had turned so pale and was so tired. So, I held her for four hours while she got the transfusion yesterday, and she pinkened up right away. We are just praying that this helps her have more energy and improve her feedings.

We were so anxious to take her home, now we just want her to be well. Does anyone have any success stories with transfusions and feedings or energy level?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”