anyone pump for a micro preemie?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
hannahsmom

Re : anyone pump for a micro preemie?

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Jun 15, 638001 7:32 am

Congratulations on your miracle! I pumped for my micropreemie for about 6 weeks. It was not easy at first, but then my sister loaned me her electric pump. My meds were making Hannah's heart rate drop, so I had to stop pumping - we could no longer do breast milk. I have to say, pumping wasn't too fun, but I know it was very important for my baby. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your little one!

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Thu Jun 14, 638001 1:23 pm

Thanks everyone. Things are much better, not up to where I want but tons better. I finally started to get a little something around 4 days. That's the same time they began feeds so I'm glad I at least had something. I've been pumping around the clock and have only been getting 1oz total from both sides. Yesterday however, they let me do kangaroo care and I pumped after and got TONS of milk. Since then I've been making a bit more so maybe it just took me holding her for my body to realize I actually do have a baby. Still pumping all the time. Gonna take a 5hr break tonight though. I need some sleep. Thanks everyone.

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Mon Jun 04, 638001 5:14 am

Hi there,

I know I'm a few days late to the party, but first of all, congrats on your new daughter. My son was born at 26 weeks and it took me two full days of pumping to even start getting drops out. As uncomfortable as it was, what others have mentioned about turning up the pump seemed to be the trick for me, as well. Took almost two weeks until I could fill one of those small 3 oz containers the NICU gave me. My son never got the hang of nursing so I pumped exclusively for almost 2 years. Towards the end I found that being rested (I know, impossible with a baby in the NICU) and staying well hydrated seemed to best things to "make" more milk.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and your daughter an uneventful NICU stay.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Sun May 13, 638001 8:16 am

I know Amber pumped for her 1 lb baby.........I will ask her next time we talk how long it took to come in........hers was a 25 weeker also so early on.
How are you and baby doing? Are you feeling okay?

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Mon Apr 30, 638001 3:21 pm

With my 33 weeker I didn't start getting any sign of milk until 4 days post partum. Then I did fine. I was pumping with in hours. But with my 23 weeker I was to sick to pump, until 2 days post partum, then The nurse had to pump for me while I was lying down. My milk came in much later and much less, and much slower. I had been through a lot, I also think it takes a bit for your body to relize the baby is already out. I think I started getting a few drops about 6-7 days post. I was pumping every two hours, one the highest setting. With my fist i would get a good 5 oz per side, but this time around I only got up to 2-3 oz per pumping. My son also started doing worse, and this directly effected the amount I was producing. If you worry to much, it can inpact your milk. You need to keep pumping, Even if you don't get anything, it's the stimulation that will help. This is the best thing you can do. Your body has alot of things going on and milk production is not priorty number 1. Try to contact someone from the le leache league they have many helpful pointers. Pumping will be your main goal, it will take your little one a while before she learns how and is big enough to BF Good luck.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Apr 08, 638001 12:58 pm

Oh, and don't forget to REST!! My preemie lactation consultant said that if you are really tired your body will produce less. She told me to allow myself to sleep a stretch at night without pumping....it was the best advice I got probably.

crystalw

Postby crystalw » Sat Apr 07, 638001 2:17 pm

Boo.. just keep pumping... it will come. I did very well thank goodness. My first pump I got 2oz of colostrum!! That was the day after my cection. But not everyone can be so lucky. It will come. I would pump every 2 hours for 15 min each. They told me not to turn the pump to a very high setting because it will make you very sore. They said the middle setting is perfect. I was making enough for twins and I delivered at 27 weeks! I hope you do well!! Don't give up!

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Sat Apr 07, 638001 11:35 am

Boo... wow! You are amazing! Keeping you two in my thoughts and prayers ((hugs))

klynnkopaczrn

Postby klynnkopaczrn » Sat Apr 07, 638001 8:07 am

Hi, I'm not sure if I am allowed to post this, but I did some researching for you, and I came across this article. I know that this medication may not be appropriate for everyone, but I think that it is at least worth a try to ask your Docs. I know the frustration of bringing drops, I mean drops to the NICU, crying my eyes out as I did, looking at my little girl, thinking that if I could do nothing else for her, that was the one thing I could do. I never did have a problem with milk supply, actually the exact opposite, but I know in the hospital where my daughter was born, there were numerous moms on this medication to icrease the milk supply. My gut tells me that maybe you don't even need it. With everything that you have been through, and the stress of it all, it will come. Keep up the good work!
http://www.breastfeeding.org/articles/reglan.html

onesock

Postby onesock » Wed Mar 28, 638001 2:15 am

Boo, keep on pumping, it will come. I remember taking my 3 drops to the NICU to feed my little guy through the NG...I got so frustrated, because I would total about 20 drops in 24 hours of pumping, but I just kept on doing it and sure enough, through 5 weeks of NICU pumping, he came home and I breastfed him until he was 2 1/2!! So don't give up...it is liquid gold and every little bit helps. You are amazing!!!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”