What would you have liked to have in the NICU?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
ckthomas05

Re : What would you have liked to have in the NICU?

Postby ckthomas05 » Fri Jul 20, 638001 1:00 pm

Thanks ladies! I can't believe I didn't think about including lotion. In and out of the NICU washing hands and using hand sanitizer can turn anyone into an alligator. We had enough funds to add lotion and wipes to the gifts. We plan to make this a yearly event so we will start raising funds after the new year! I love the idea for cafeteria gift certificates - our hospital made a fortune on us.

We are delivering to one hospital today. I'm excited but worried that I'll get emotional! I hope the gifts are well received. My DH, DD and I are taking gifts to the hospital where we were on Friday. It's been 6 months. I'm excited to see the nurses but worried that I'll break down when I walk back into that NICU.

bellemama

Postby bellemama » Sat Jul 07, 638001 1:50 pm

I still cherish the tiny knitted cap a volunteer made, along with my son's "first mobile" -- basically, interesting black and white patterns that were cut out and taped to the inside of his isolette for visual stimulation. Also, one of the nurses took rectangles of polar fleece and whip stitched the edges to make little partial covers. That ended up being my son's favorite blanket his first year. All inexpensive -- the "mobile" was free, you can find the pictures on the Internet and just cut them out and laminate them.

What a nice idea!

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Sat Jun 16, 638001 2:12 pm

I'm all about the snacks too!
Needing to eat or use the bathroom where the only reasons I pried myself away from Jaidyn.
But, rather than a one time basket... is it possible to keep a stocked basket at the NICU?
I know that's asking a lot, but that way as the ever changing addition of patients can make use of it as well.
I realize that's a HUGE project compared to the small one in mind.
Though it does give me a great idea of my NICU.

:o)

Best wishes!
Great project!

Jenn

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Sat Jun 16, 638001 11:45 am

Snacks, gift certs for nearby fast food. If the hospital do not have free parking try to get voucher's. Gift certs to the cafiteria. A Hid a baby(a sewn cloth you can use to pump, while in front of people)

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Sat Jun 16, 638001 11:21 am

Snacks or food gift cards. Even those little snack size chips are great. We have a parents lounge we can go to to take a break but there is never anything to eat. Another mom dropped off some brown paper bags with chips, juice and little chocolates in it. It was really nice to have a snack when I needed a break.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Jun 15, 638001 10:50 pm

I didn't have a baby in the NICU but how about success stories to give moms hope?

mom2ella

Postby mom2ella » Fri Jun 15, 638001 4:48 pm

Great idea. My friend did this for one of the NICU's in my area. She also included bottled water (some let you have it, some not), puzzle books and playing cards (for some of those long days and nights), travel size kleenex, and things for overnight when people don't plan for it (toothbrush/paste, wet wipes, deodorant, etc). Good luck!!

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Mon Jun 04, 638001 6:03 am

What a wonderful idea! I would have loved getting something like that. Happy Holidays!

heather100

Postby heather100 » Wed May 23, 638001 4:30 pm

That is such a sweet project for the teenagers to do!! Wonderful ideas above!!! The gift certificates to the cafe are really good ones.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun May 13, 638001 5:35 am

Hand lotion! All those hand sanitizers were so awful on the skin and nails! Lip balm might be nice too. Maybe those trial sized ones. What a great idea!! What a great and wonderful idea!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”