Preemie Check-in

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
dohertyab

Re : Preemie Check-in

Postby dohertyab » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:29 am

Tara and Rowan were 29 weekers, 2lbs 2oz and 2lbs 4oz. They're now 6-1/2 as they tell me and make sure I add the 1/2. They want to know when they will be 6-3/4 so I guess they know fractions. 11 long weeks in the NICU and blessedly no hospitalizations since. Tara is 44inches, and 40lbs (finally) and Rowan is 45inches and 43lbs. They're in grade 1 and now are fluent in French (so much for preemie twins having language issues).

Maeve was a 36 weeker, and huge at 6lbs 2oz. She'll be 3 at the end of this month and is 36inches (?) and 30lbs. She just doesn't know she's 3 and keeps thinking she's 6 like her sisters. She decided she likes to downhill ski fast and managed to escape my mother yesterday and ski down the hill by herself (first time on skis) and did well until it came time to stop. Luckily there was netting and padding at the bottom of the hill.

How far they've all come...

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:16 am

We had Carson's 12 month Doctor's appointment on Friday at almost 13 months *giggle*

His official stats :)

Born: 4lbs 2oz
Now: 21.5lbs!!!!
Born: 16.5 inches long
Now: 30.5 inches long!!!!

He's a BIG BOY now *big grin*

shadow2356

Postby shadow2356 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 01:36 am

My Julianna is the same age as Allison and Anna Grace

She is a 34 weeker, born at 3 lbs 8 oz and 16.5 inches on 1-8-08
She is 7 lbs 11oz and 19.5 in at 8 weeks

She seems happy and healthy, but has an umbilical hernia :(

Glad to see so many babies are thriving!!

MaryEllen

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:40 am

All of your preemies have come so far! Here are our stats for Hannah, who is 6 and a half years old:

Hannah Rose born on 8/24/01

Then: Weight: 1 pound, 1 ounce - length: 12 inches

Now: Weight: 57 pounds - height: 49 inches

Issues: Had 3 sets of ear tubes (we're all done now!) She receives OT for some minor fine motor issues and for her Sensory Integration Dysfunction (she is sensory seeking and her meltdowns have gotten a lot better.) She receives ST for some minor speech delays. She had to repeat kindergarten. This is her second go-around, but if she had been born on time, she would have only started kindergarten this year anyway. She is doing beautifully this year. The teacher said she has never seen a child who was retained do so well on the second year of kindergarten. She just wasn't ready to start last year. She is having some bladder issues right now, but other than that, she is perfectly healthy! She has excelled in soccer, gymnastics and ballet. My iddy biddy preemie is no longer so little!

I forgot to include that she has reactive airway disease, which can make it difficult to do a lot of running without gasping for air. She uses an inhaler and nebulizer treatments, especially when she gets her chronic cough. The doc thinks she may have some lung damage from being on the vent so long, which caused the reactive airway disease.

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 05:54 pm

Audri - 35 weeker 5lb 10oz, now 7 (almost 8), The smallest in her class but very bright. Still has some hypotonia but getting stronger all the time. Diagnosed with type 1 diabetes Nov 06 and inattentive ADD Aug 06.

Ezra - 29 weeker 3lb 6oz, now 6, Small for his age but very friendly, curious, innovative. Diagnosed with ADHD Aug 06, doing well on meds although behind in reading. Hopefully he'll catch up.

Aleashiya - 31 weeker 4lb 7oz, now 5. Full of energy, small for her age. Excited to start kindergarten in September. Very helpful with the younger ones.

Anastacia - 32 weeker 4lb 9oz, now 3. Full of energy, typical 3 year old. Loves Dora and knows all her colors. My only average sized child.

Gwenyth - 28 weeker 2lb 9oz, now 2. Smart little girl. Tiny for her age but full of energy and very talkative. Very healthy as well.

Ivylynne - 25 weeker 1lb 13oz, now 3 months. Still in the NICU. Had a bilateral grade 3 headbleed that her MRI shows has resolved, only leaving a slight PVL. She now has stage 2 ROP zone 2 that is keeping her in the NICU. They won't retest for another 2 weeks. We're hoping she can come off the oxygen before then as she is only on 22% during the day.

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:40 am

Hey, Tanya, SO good to "see" you! Sounds like the boys are doing well. Thanks for the update - it's been awhile.

I will post an update on my kiddos later today, as I'm running out the door. These threads are always fun!

youtan

Postby youtan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:40 am

Happy 9th Birthday Nathanial (27 weeker). I remember this day 9 years ago all too well. He's a science geek of a third-grader now with lots of friends. He was weighed and measured just this week at 49 inches tall and 44 lbs. Thats it - still on the small side but growing. His appetite was always aweful until 1st or 2nd grade. His picky eatting stopped completely this year - he'll try just about anything. We (along with his docs) though decided this week that its time for him to have a wheelchair or other device to aid his mobility on trips to the zoo or parks. Its a tough time for Mom and Dad, but he's actually relieved to have the help getting around.

Jonathan is 5 1/2 years old(34 weeker). He has always struggled with his speech, but he's doing so well that he may not qualify for therapy this year. He's 36 lbs and I think 38 inches tall - something like that. He's completely caught up in his size as expected as he was barely a preemie really. He's in kindergarten and doing very well!

lynnekay

Postby lynnekay » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:08 am

My adorable grandson Drake turned 9 months last week :-) As the month of March started it brought up memories from a year ago when my DD was first dx with PE and we all helped her to follow the dr's advice & battle 10 looooonnnggg wks. on bedrest in and out of the hospital, too many times to count!

Drake (born @ 36 wks on the nose = his lungs were not mature and he ended up being the biggest, yet sickest baby in the NICU) is crawling like a wild man and pulling up to furniture and standing on his own for a few seconds. I have a feeling he will be walking before he turns 1. He is a complete joy and I LOVE him to pieces!!!

I enjoyed reading all of the updates on this list :-) Babies are true blessings...

canuckmom

Postby canuckmom » Thu Mar 06, 2008 09:59 am

Jude was born at 31 weeks weighing 2lbs 10oz and measuring 16inches. At his three year old check-up he weighed in at 28lbs and 35inches. Feeding continues to be our main issue. Other than that, and the fact that he's smarter than me, he's a joy.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 06:18 pm

This is such a cool thread! I can't imagine having a 2 lb baby............I remember visting evey when she was under 2 lbs and man that is just SO TINY!!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”