Is this sensory seeking

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
youtan

Re : Is this sensory seeking

Postby youtan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 01:25 pm

Another great book to read - Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
by Lucy Jane Miller. This book goes through the various sensory problems...

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Tue Mar 04, 2008 01:45 pm

quote:Originally posted by Kara

Some of that could be sensory issues, some of it antsy child who wants to be able to walk. Did you have issues with her when she was younger? Avery's sensory stuff started basically at birth (course she was micro preemie)...and continued to worsen and peaked about 8 or 9 months until she started walking at about 14 months (and we had occupational therapy in that time frame too). She still has the sensory stuff, but it's a little easier to deal with now that she is older...plus we learned some coping techniques in OT. A lot of times it gets better when they learn to walk....as they get lots of more stimulation through the legs and large joints, and they satisfy that need to explore even more too! I'd mention it to the pedi next time you are there, but hopefully it will get better as she learns to walk.

It's been since about 5 weeks old when she "woke up" so to speek out of the preemie sleep as I call it. But it has definitly gotten worse the last 2 months so since about 9 months..... hopefully when she starts walking it will help. We have her one year appointment on the 14th, need to add this to my list of questions to ask. The rolling and throwing herself down she has done since she was able to roll over and move

Blyth- Thanks for the book reccomendation, going go check it out

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:42 am

Thanks for the info on the read! I need to get that!

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:37 am

This book was just recommended to me: Raising Your Spirited Child Rev Ed: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic
by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. Maybe check the online review at Amazon and other sites to see if it might fit for you?

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:48 am

I think the flopping all over the bed thing to get herself real tired is typical for an almost toddler. In my opinion that's pretty normal for toddlers Braden does it and I know other parents who's kids do this to wind themselves down before bed. Braden starts it exactly at 7:30 because at 8:30 he is in bed!
Braden goes to sleep on his own at night but at naptime I put him to sleep. I read books and rock him to sleep and he has to be held tight so he won't play with his hands etc. When he was 1 he hated it but got used to it. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only mother who has to do this to their child so they will go to sleep:)
I'm not sure about the sensory issue but you could always ask your ped. what he/she thinks about it.

Good luck!:)

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:06 am

Some of that could be sensory issues, some of it antsy child who wants to be able to walk. Did you have issues with her when she was younger? Avery's sensory stuff started basically at birth (course she was micro preemie)...and continued to worsen and peaked about 8 or 9 months until she started walking at about 14 months (and we had occupational therapy in that time frame too). She still has the sensory stuff, but it's a little easier to deal with now that she is older...plus we learned some coping techniques in OT. A lot of times it gets better when they learn to walk....as they get lots of more stimulation through the legs and large joints, and they satisfy that need to explore even more too! I'd mention it to the pedi next time you are there, but hopefully it will get better as she learns to walk.

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Tue Mar 04, 2008 04:55 am

Amanda, I have no idea if that's sensory seeking or not, but that's definitely ALL the same stuff as Henry does!!!

The one legged nurser - yep, I know that well. For me, I just took it as normal for Henry.

He finally finally finally just changed his schedule a bit (but he's also fighting an ear infection/cold). He WAS going to bed between 10-12 at night. Now he's down between 9:30 and 10:30, but usually closer to 9:30ish.

The only difference between what you've described and Henry is that he can't STAND to be held tight. But he does still enjoy nursing to sleep. Ironically, if DH is with him, he'll fall asleep without me (but that's also relatively new).

hhbeachgurl

Is this sensory seeking

Postby hhbeachgurl » Tue Mar 04, 2008 01:06 am

Ansley seems to seek a lot of stimuli, she is always going, never sits still, and has always had a hard time going to sleep. we are lucky if she is down by 10pm. It is tiring. Right before she can go to sleep she has to get really loud with screeching and flop all over the bed. Stand up and let herself fall back, roll all around, over and over for at least 30 min and then she gets really tired screams and the nurses and goes to sleep. Nap times are trouble to.
To get her to sleep you basically have to hold her really tight so she can not move her arms and legs, then she seems to calm doen and go to sleep.

Oh and anytime she nurses she is moving as well, she tries to stand on one leg, flip around,etc

She is almost 1 and is crawling, crusing, but no walking. but is never still. She has to constantly make really , realy loud noises if it is quite, but if we are in a busy loud place, she is perfectly happy then to sit and look around.

I have no idea what is normal for an almost 1 year old. Please help

Return to “Parents of Preemies”