Need info for Premmie on Vent

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Need info for Premmie on Vent

Postby catherine » Mon Apr 05, 2004 08:46 pm

I just wanted to wish you and your wife many congratulations on Parker's arrival. May these stressful days be soon only a memory and a few polaroids in his scrapbook.

Grow little Parker....[:X]

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby angelical » Tue Apr 06, 2004 05:34 am

Just a thought... if you look through this 'Parents of Preemies' section, you'll find a couple of threads we started to give some 'hints' to new preemie parents.

Good luck. I wish you all the best. Keep posting on the baby's progress. We'll be here to support you all we can, and one day soon you & your wife can be veterans, too, giving advice!

Take care!
Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby annes » Tue Apr 06, 2004 07:36 am

I just wanted to jump in, as I have a little Parker of my own, who spent a month in the NICU after being born at 33 wks and 3lbs. The NICU is a scary place, but it will also become a special place if you and your wife let it. I spent 8+ hours a day there with my little one and I actually have some great memories and friends I made there. Don't be afraid to ask questions, insist on speaking to the Dr.'s, make friends with the nurses, reach out to the other parents, and make sure you and your wife are resting enough, eating well, and taking breaks when you need them. Good Luck with your Parker, it's a good strong name!
P.S. My little Parker is a not so little 9 months old, and weighs in around 18 lbs., and kept me up from 4am until my alarm went off at 5:15 AM, when he promptly fell back to sleep! Enjoy your baby!

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby meg » Tue Apr 06, 2004 08:50 am

{HUGS} I know the stress has to be so hard on you all! The NICU really is a series of good days and bad and lots of bumps in the road. You have to cherish the good and andjust hold on to faith and hope on the bad. My sisters baby was delivered at 27 weeks for PE and weighed 1 lb 8 ounces. He will be a month old in two days. he had been off the vent since day 10 but I just talked to my sister and he had to get put back on the CPAP. They think he might have another little infections and his red blood cell count is low so he got yet another blood transfusion. He is finally over the 2 pound mark but hovering right there. Its such a rollar coster but its a miracle that babies that small can make it at all. I will pray for your little Parker!!

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27.5 weeks weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Already off the ventilator and opened his eyes!
meg

Postby maddiekinsmom » Tue Apr 06, 2004 09:42 am

Hang in there! As many others have said, the NICU is a major roller coaster ride. My daughter was born at 29 weeks weighing 1 lb, 14 oz and was put on the vent too after breathing on her own for 8 hours. The whole NICU experience was very hard with more ups and downs than you can count, but you will get through this. Just keep talking to the doctors and nurses and ask all the questions you have - and ask them as many times as you need!

And remember, as hard as it is, you both need to eat, sleep and take care of yourselves. This is a great place to share your worries, sorrows, frustration, ask questions, etc.

May your NICU stay be uneventful and may Parker (great name!) be a "feeder/grower" soon! (That's what our NICU termed wee ones who just needed to eat and grow to come home.)

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

Rachel
Madeleine 4/8/01 (29 weeker: 1 lb,14oz; severe PE, IUGR)
maddiekinsmom

Postby iansmom » Tue Apr 06, 2004 08:33 pm

My prayers are with your family. As you now know, you are not alone. My son was born at 26 weeks, 1lb 8oz at a hospital 3 hours from home. He breathed on his own for only 5 minutes and was on the vent for 5 weeks and then oxygen for another 8 weeks. It was the longest 3.5 months of our lives. My husband returned to work while I stayed with Ian. But after my 6 weeks, I returned to work so that I could take off when he came home. We only saw him on weekends for the last 8 weeks. Lots of stress, but well worth it. Good luck.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
#2 EDD July 15, 2004
iansmom

Postby worriedhubby20 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 05:03 pm

Today is another one of the down days. The Doctor called us early this a.m. before we had left for the hospital and gave us a brief rundown. He said that for the first time his blood gas results weren't where he would like to see them, he had elevated levels of CO2 in his system and that his head and chest X-rays came back good. They gave him some oxygen, raised the number of times that the vent breathes for him (was 20 times out of 80 yesterday, today it was 40 out of ?, the monitor was not picking up his rate). They also started him on Lipids and said that for the next week or so they were going to concentrate on nutrition and breathing. He hopes to start him on breastmilk tomorrow or Friday. I know that he is going to pull through this and I really liked it when he said that he was wanting to put some meat on his bones. I'll keep posting his progress. Thanks to all!
worriedhubby20

Postby mada » Wed Apr 07, 2004 05:52 pm

Hi Rob,
I can't imagine how stressed you are between worrying about your wife, Parker and trying to stay strong. Parker will have up days and down days and I pray tommorow will be an up!! You guys are in my thoughts a lot. Glad you are posting here[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby meg » Wed Apr 07, 2004 06:05 pm

I think it sounds like he is doing great! My nephews blood gases were off for over a week I think until they got it regulated. Thats great that his head scan was good! My nephew had a grade 2-3 hemmorage which could mean some developmental delays, its just too eatly to tell. Dont worry about teh weight yet, they have to get everything medical all stable and clear and then he will gain. It was almost 3 weeks before my nephew gained any! Now he is almost 3/4 pound over birthweight!
I know its so hard but it sounds like he is donig great!

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27.5 weeks weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Already off the ventilator and opened his eyes!
meg

Postby emmybree » Thu Apr 08, 2004 01:44 pm

Congrats on the birth of your son! I hope he continues to strive and do well! Emilie was born at 31 weeks due to preeclampsia/toxcemia, my placenta also stopped working and she wasnt growing so they took her two days later after giving me shots for lung maturty, not sure if they did that or not with your son, but I guess it depends on how badly he needed to come out. I will keep him and your family in my thoughts [:)]

Mommy to:

Breanna (1-25-02)
Emilie (2-19-03)
emmybree

PreviousNext

Return to Parents of Preemies