Need info for Premmie on Vent

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
worriedhubby20

Re : Need info for Premmie on Vent

Postby worriedhubby20 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 06:53 pm

I don't really know how to catagorize today, compared to the last 4. I guess you would say Parker was a little off. According to his monitors, his oxygen levels dropped for just brief moments down to 73, but seconds later it would be back up into the 90's. My wife got very concerned and asked the nurse about it. They seemed as if things were alright, saying that it was probably some reflux from eating so much, but put a nasal canula on him and gave him a little air, putting him back steady at 93-94. It made her feel better. I think the nurse was right, as he would get aggrevated just before the level would drop. He has done VERY well this week overall! I'm very proud of my little man! I hope he continues on this pace so that he can come home with us soon. More updates and pictures coming soon.

Rob

natan

Postby natan » Fri Apr 16, 2004 02:37 pm

Hello Rob,

Just know that all the information that Doctors, Social Workers and Early interventionist give does not always process until about a month after you get home and you see progress.

I remember so much information being given to us all at one time and I was mixed with emotional feelings at the same time. So, remember to write information down or record your converstation. I wish I had !! Write down names of doctors and nurses and their position that work with your baby, for your own records.

Be patient with yourself and your baby. Just understanding what happened takes a while to digest. Because you are so concerned about your babies health, your wifes and your own state of mind and weather your insurance will cover everything. You might also bring another person who you trust to help listen to information so that enough questions can be answered.

Also, see if you can hook up with a support group (for preemie parents) at your hosptial. This will help you and your wife to understand how other mom's and dad's are handling things.

Best wishes to you and your family, keep us posted of how things are progressing.

Deborah 35
Allen 34
Natan 2.5 (born @ 31 wks 2 lbs 5 oz)

worriedhubby20

Postby worriedhubby20 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 02:16 pm

I've got to steal the camera away from his momma first![:D] I will try very hard to get some posted this weekend.

Rob
quote:
Originally posted by hannahsmom

Yeah Parker! An ounce a day -- that's terrific! How about those pictures??????

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!

emmybree

Postby emmybree » Fri Apr 16, 2004 08:29 am

Great News!!! I am happy for you!!

Mommy to:

Breanna (1-25-02)(born at 36weeks..preclampsia)
Emilie (2-19-03)(born at 31wks..due to toxcemia/preclamspia)

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 09:21 pm

Yeah Parker! An ounce a day -- that's terrific! How about those pictures??????

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!

worriedhubby20

Postby worriedhubby20 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 08:54 pm

Little Parker has put on an ounce a day for the past 3 days! He is really progressing well, you can see it in the nurses eyes when we arrive. His liver scan results come back tomorrow in the afternoon, but the nurses think they will be fine. I know that my little strong man will be fantastic! We can no longer see his bones, (he has meat between them and his skin)[:D] I am an Air Transportation Manager and have been in the career field for nearly 17 years. I love it and couldn't see myself doing anything else. I will continue to keep posting as Parker and the wife continue to do well!

meljoi

Postby meljoi » Thu Apr 15, 2004 08:21 am

I, too have sat silently reading the posts. You all have been through so very much. I am so happy to see that little Parker and his momma are doing better. What a rollercoaster. I am praying that he'll be home in just a short time and that his amazing progress continues.

You are all in my thoughts.

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
2nd babe due 12/04

hutced

Postby hutced » Thu Apr 15, 2004 07:36 am

I have been following your story from the begining but haven't replied until now. I knew I liked you from the start and just found out why with your last post[;)]. I have 8 years USAF/USAFR and DH has 20 years in june both of us are Civil Engineers.

I am glad Parker is doing so well, and your wife is feeling better. Hang in there and try not to sweat the little stuff right now, ie house work and car, I know it is easier said than done. But don't let it overwhelm you anyhow.

Take care of yourself and family and keep us posted on the little fighter. Your family is in my prayers.

Denise
Emily 3-6-02 41 1/2wks, 7lbs15oz
Evan 10-21-03 35wks, 5lbs6oz, PIH/PE (placental abruption)http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/hutced/

angelical

Postby angelical » Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:06 pm

I applaude you for your dedication to your wife and family. For me, one of the hardest parts of the whole experience was feeling like I had to explain to my husband that Aaron and I were sick! It was as if he just didn't "get it". I'm sure your wife must appreciate your care and concern... even the fact that you are stopping by the forum for advice says a lot. I wish you and your family all the best.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH

worriedhubby20

Postby worriedhubby20 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:00 pm

Thanks all! I hope that you are right, Sandy, about the sleeping through everything. I have 2 daughters, and it seemed like they were 5 years old before they would sleep through the night. I'm the kind of person that likes things done a certain way, especially when it comes to the yard or the vehicles. I guess I might have just overexaggerated on how much had to be done. The house just needs a little organization. I shampooed carpets, dusted, did all the laundry, put up Parker's nursery, and hauled a LOT of stuff to storage while the wife was in the hospital. It is really just a little "maintenance" that is needed as far as chores go. I'll get by. I work odd hours, 1300-2300, so it makes it difficult to really get anything done during the week. Then I give up 1, sometimes 2, weekends a month to serve my country, 17 years in UASF and USAFR. I have to play catch up with them now as well. And I guess I can't leave out the most important thing, visiting Parker, before and after work. I don't know if I could make it a whole day without seeing him. I know that I'll get caught up eventually! How can I convince my wife to go shopping for herself, CLOTHES? I've tried going with her, but she drives me batty. She just refuses to buy anything.

Rob

Return to “Parents of Preemies”