Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Need info for Premmie on Vent

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Need info for Premmie on Vent

Postby worriedhubby20 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 05:03 pm

by worriedhubby20 (77 Posts), Mon Jun 14, 2004 05:03 pm

Mr. Parker had a pretty food night last night. I worked 16 hours at the base and then came home and stayed with him until 5:00 a.m. when the wife got me off of the couch and said "go to bed".[:D] He did good though, I just didn't want to disturb her while she tried to get some sleep. She had him pretty much 24-7 for the last 4 days. He seems to have a dislike for bath time. I don't know why, I love baths, he just can't stand it. He goes for his first pediatric visit on Thursday. Maybe she will be able to give us a better schedule or a formula change that might make him a little less gassy. We've had tons of visitors over the last week. Every time I think I can sit back and relax, someone is coming over to see my boy. I'm sure it won't last much longer, but it sure would be nice to have a little time to breathe before the wife goes back to work. More to follow!

Rob, father of Parker, 30 weeks, 1 lb. 14 oz.
worriedhubby20

Postby mom2gigi » Tue Jun 15, 2004 07:05 pm

by mom2gigi (198 Posts), Tue Jun 15, 2004 07:05 pm

My little one was like that too about her baths at first. Now she loves them!
You could ask the Doc about a different nipple cuz that's what they told me was wrong with Gigi and it helped when we switched.
Glad you guys are doing good!

Adriana

Giselle - born @ 35wks, from severe preeclampsia by emergency c-section.
mom2gigi

Postby angelical » Wed Jun 16, 2004 04:59 am

by angelical (330 Posts), Wed Jun 16, 2004 04:59 am

re: the gas... We switched to one of the bottle types that is vented. It was like night and day! Good luck with it.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02) -- my tiny guy is TWO!
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby celticepona » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:54 am

by celticepona (1273 Posts), Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:54 am

Rob, check this thread! LOL http://preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3525

it covers my nightmare with formula. To make a long story short, we finally got her on Isomil, and it got rid of her gas and fussiness and diahreea!

Anyway, Em had to get used to bathtime too. She hated it at first and screamed and cried when I bathed her...but now she seems to say..."ok, I guess this isn't as bad after all....[:I]" Little Parker will get used to it eventually. Good luck!!!!!

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum.
preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/
celticepona

Postby annes » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:14 am

by annes (2527 Posts), Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:14 am

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!![:D] Have a great time with your little one (you have other kids too, right?)Hope it is a good day[:)].

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby worriedhubby20 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 04:32 pm

by worriedhubby20 (77 Posts), Thu Jun 24, 2004 04:32 pm

It seems like forever since my last post. Things have been really FLYING by! Parker is doing really well, with the exception of an ongoing problem of constipation. We are trying dark caro syrup (1 tsp to an ounce of water). That is what his ped suggested. His 15 year old sister will be visiting with us for a little while. I can hardly wait, she is soooooo beautiful. I can't believe I had anything to do with making her.[:D] I have ton's of stuff to get done around the house before she arrives.

The wife is doing great. She spends all of her time with Parker, until I get home and take over at 1100 pm. He has been pretty good with this schedule and things work out good with both of us getting some sleep. It's those days, or should I say nights, where he stays up past 5 am with me that stink. I get in a pretty irrittable mood by 8 pm. I need my beauty sleep.

If anyone has any helpful hints for constipation, I'm all ears. I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere, but I just keep running short on time. I hope that everyone is well!!!! More updates will follow. By the way, I haven't had a chance to put any new pics on Parker's web page yet, but will try again soon. I've got some really good one's.

Rob, father of Parker, 30 weeks, 1 lb. 14 oz.
worriedhubby20

Postby meljoi » Thu Jun 24, 2004 05:41 pm

by meljoi (510 Posts), Thu Jun 24, 2004 05:41 pm

Glad to hear that things are going so well.
Peyton had terrible gas and terrible constipation.
He wound up on Mylecon drops at 2 wks
(which saved us!) ...his constipation came on a bit later....3+ months and he STILL has problems with it. He was prescribed a laxative as well as suppositories. The laxative worked...and he now graduated to a "toddler" kind of laxitive that I only administer when he seems to be havinf a problem. He never pooped regularly to begin with (so many kiddos poop while they are being fed, not my kiddo)........he goes 2,3 sometimes 4 days without a bm. I think we are having trouble with that part of potty training because of the constipation. I tried the caro syrup and it didn't help him at all. It's so heartbreaking, but I think it is something that they will outgrow...they just need time.

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
2nd babe due 11/26/04
meljoi

Postby sandy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 05:43 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Thu Jun 24, 2004 05:43 pm

Hi Rob,
Great to hear all is going relatively smoothly...except for little Parker's lack of "movements"...

Just had about 3 months of this with my DD (maybe it's still going?). Now she's 12 months, much older than little Parker.

Yes, the dark Karo syrup...beware, it doesn't work right away. Our pediatrician said it could take up to 5 days to work. Get any extra fluid that you can into him day and night. You're not doing solid food (right?!) yet, but the baby food prunes and prunes w/apples helped a bit, as well as the applesauce and pears.

During the times when my little sweetheart would go 2 days without any "movement", we have been giving her "Baby Lax". Works like a charm, but again, she's older than little Parker, so you'll want to check with his ped. on that one.

I discovered Tylenol and certain medications can cause constipation; didn't know that. Because my DD had reflux issues the first few months, we were putting Mylanta in all her feedings...continued until she was probably 6 or 7 months old. I think that helped things flow more smoothly as well.

Good luck with helping Parker feel better.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently trying to catch an egg...
sandy

Postby annes » Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:42 am

by annes (2527 Posts), Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:42 am

We had a constipation issue also, and tried lots of things. Prune juice mixed with the formula, glycerine suppositories (break the child size in half for little one, Rectal thermometer always worked if it was really bad, but that is a little gross[xx(]! We eventually switched brands of formula (from similac advanced to enfamil with lipil) and then he had firmer BM's and was able to pass them easier. Sorry about the TMI, but we are all friends here. It is so awful because you know they feel yucky. Good luck[:)].

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby celticepona » Mon Jun 28, 2004 05:30 pm

by celticepona (1273 Posts), Mon Jun 28, 2004 05:30 pm

We ended up going the other way with Emmy and she went from diharrea to constipation on the Isomil. I ended up adding extra water to her formula...not much to dilute it too much, but say, 6 oz of formula to 8-9 oz of water. That has seemed to work for us. But I agree to wait for the karo syrup to kick in...I have heard that works well. Take care and can't wait to see his new pics!

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum.
preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/
celticepona

PreviousNext

Return to Parents of Preemies