Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Need info for Premmie on Vent

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Need info for Premmie on Vent

Postby worriedhubby20 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 05:06 pm

by worriedhubby20 (77 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 05:06 pm

Well, today appears to be another wonderfully blessed day! Parker graduated last night to the incubator. I wasn't sure if he ever would. All of the babies that started off with him have either gone home or moved to the level I nursery. I know he will probably sleep better without all of the noise he was having to listen to. My wife is doing great also. The milk appears to have found its way back to her breast, and she is pumping away. Now if I could only find a way to get the house cleaned, vehicles cleaned, yardwork caught-up, and all of this insurance stuff organized, maybe, just maybe, we could both get a little rest. I'll keep everyone posted.

Rob
worriedhubby20

Postby meg » Wed Apr 14, 2004 05:11 pm

by meg (1384 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 05:11 pm

thats great that he had another great day!! Dont worry about the house and the cleaning and such, all that can wait. Dont let it stress you!!![;)]

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27.5 weeks weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Already off the ventilator and opened his eyes!
meg

Postby julie f » Wed Apr 14, 2004 05:23 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 05:23 pm

Rob,

So glad today was another great day!!! We LOVE happy updates! As far as all the chores go - here's the only advice I can offer - If people volunteer to help - let them!! It was amazing what people wanted to do for us when I was in the hospital - they didn't know what to say or how to help me so - they went to work on what they could see!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby sandy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 05:42 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 05:42 pm

Rob! Great news!! Things must be getting better if you're thinking about a "to-do" list. :) And the pumping is going better for your wife. Thank goodness for that.

If you want some unsolicited advice, get a huge accordion folder for the insurance stuff, if you haven't done so already. It took me about 8 months to get to the bottom of a lot of it; getting bills for things we shouldn't have been billed for, phone calls...would have helped if I had been more organized from the start. I had no idea that keeping on top of the insurance company would be a part-time job in itself! (Hopefully it will be different for you.)

And about the noise little Parker has grown accustomed to from the machines and the environment there...I didn't like that about my DD's stay in the NICU, either. Now, she can sleep through lots of noises; phone/doorbell ringing, conversations, television...and I attribute that to the noisy environment where she spent the first few weeks of her life. So there may be a benefit to that!!

Looking forward to hearing more updates...

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby worriedhubby20 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:00 pm

by worriedhubby20 (77 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:00 pm

Thanks all! I hope that you are right, Sandy, about the sleeping through everything. I have 2 daughters, and it seemed like they were 5 years old before they would sleep through the night. I'm the kind of person that likes things done a certain way, especially when it comes to the yard or the vehicles. I guess I might have just overexaggerated on how much had to be done. The house just needs a little organization. I shampooed carpets, dusted, did all the laundry, put up Parker's nursery, and hauled a LOT of stuff to storage while the wife was in the hospital. It is really just a little "maintenance" that is needed as far as chores go. I'll get by. I work odd hours, 1300-2300, so it makes it difficult to really get anything done during the week. Then I give up 1, sometimes 2, weekends a month to serve my country, 17 years in UASF and USAFR. I have to play catch up with them now as well. And I guess I can't leave out the most important thing, visiting Parker, before and after work. I don't know if I could make it a whole day without seeing him. I know that I'll get caught up eventually! How can I convince my wife to go shopping for herself, CLOTHES? I've tried going with her, but she drives me batty. She just refuses to buy anything.

Rob
worriedhubby20

Postby angelical » Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:06 pm

by angelical (330 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:06 pm

I applaude you for your dedication to your wife and family. For me, one of the hardest parts of the whole experience was feeling like I had to explain to my husband that Aaron and I were sick! It was as if he just didn't "get it". I'm sure your wife must appreciate your care and concern... even the fact that you are stopping by the forum for advice says a lot. I wish you and your family all the best.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby hutced » Thu Apr 15, 2004 07:36 am

by hutced (263 Posts), Thu Apr 15, 2004 07:36 am

I have been following your story from the begining but haven't replied until now. I knew I liked you from the start and just found out why with your last post[;)]. I have 8 years USAF/USAFR and DH has 20 years in june both of us are Civil Engineers.

I am glad Parker is doing so well, and your wife is feeling better. Hang in there and try not to sweat the little stuff right now, ie house work and car, I know it is easier said than done. But don't let it overwhelm you anyhow.

Take care of yourself and family and keep us posted on the little fighter. Your family is in my prayers.

Denise
Emily 3-6-02 41 1/2wks, 7lbs15oz
Evan 10-21-03 35wks, 5lbs6oz, PIH/PE (placental abruption)http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/hutced/
hutced

Postby meljoi » Thu Apr 15, 2004 08:21 am

by meljoi (510 Posts), Thu Apr 15, 2004 08:21 am

I, too have sat silently reading the posts. You all have been through so very much. I am so happy to see that little Parker and his momma are doing better. What a rollercoaster. I am praying that he'll be home in just a short time and that his amazing progress continues.

You are all in my thoughts.

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
2nd babe due 12/04
meljoi

Postby worriedhubby20 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 08:54 pm

by worriedhubby20 (77 Posts), Thu Apr 15, 2004 08:54 pm

Little Parker has put on an ounce a day for the past 3 days! He is really progressing well, you can see it in the nurses eyes when we arrive. His liver scan results come back tomorrow in the afternoon, but the nurses think they will be fine. I know that my little strong man will be fantastic! We can no longer see his bones, (he has meat between them and his skin)[:D] I am an Air Transportation Manager and have been in the career field for nearly 17 years. I love it and couldn't see myself doing anything else. I will continue to keep posting as Parker and the wife continue to do well!
worriedhubby20

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 09:21 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Thu Apr 15, 2004 09:21 pm

Yeah Parker! An ounce a day -- that's terrific! How about those pictures??????

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

PreviousNext

Return to Parents of Preemies