Audrey is now 4 and reading!!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
mom2tori

Re : Audrey is now 4 and reading!!

Postby mom2tori » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:21 am

Yay Audrey!! Isn't it a weird feeling to hear them read when everytime you look at them you see the tiny baby they once were?

cindyh27

Re : Audrey is now 4 and reading!!

Postby cindyh27 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:06 am

Kathy,

Tell Audrey Congratulations on her reading award! That is wonderful... what a long road she has traveled... what a beautiful little girl... you must be SO PROUD :) Great job mommy! Great job Audrey!!

kathyc

Audrey is now 4 and reading!!

Postby kathyc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 09:48 am

Forgive a mother's pride, but I wanted to share some happy news with you all. My Audrey (the princess in pink in my avatar) was born at 33 weeks because I had a severe abruption. I was at home on bedrest when the abruption happened, and had to be transported by ambulance, so it was nearly an hour before she was delivered. My OB said by the time Audrey was delivered, the entire placenta had separated. We're lucky she's here at all.

I worried for the first two years that Audrey might have a brain injury from lack of oxygen because of the abruption. She had hypotonia and was developmentally delayed, but the neurologist felt that she would eventually catch up and no therapies were ever recommended. Boy, did she ever!!

This week, my baby girl was given an award at school for reading!! She goes to elementary school, but is only in pre-K. It's so amazing to me to hear her read books aloud all by herself, and she's not even in kindergarden yet! I guess her brain is alright after all... LOL.

Hearing stories like this gave me hope when she was so tiny and fragile, so I wanted to pass it on.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”