Preemies Grow Up Shy?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
alexp

Re : Preemies Grow Up Shy?

Postby alexp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 00:21 am

Sheri-ct, your comment about your friend made me smile - my dh is a 39 year old 34 weeker. He is definitely shy and introverted, but has managed to get married and have three kids. Well, the marriage and kids thing was my idea, but still...

I wish I knew as much about the etiology of prematurity (not to mention the nervous system, endocrine system, immune system, etc) as some other people on this site do (hi Caryn! ;)) Cause I'd bet that *some* of the time, a former preemie may have inherited the sort of 'jumpy' nervous system that also seems to tie in, some of the time, with poorly implanted placentas and bodies that go into preterm labor...okay, I'm not making sense, even to myself. Ugh! Anyway, maybe it's not a 'preemie' thing so much as it is a 'genetic' thing that is loosly related to some of the factors that can lead to preterm labor or the need to deliver a baby prematurely (ie preeclampsia)?

And, yeah that! to what Erin, Amanda and Kara said, as well.

PS: My 32 weekers are very shy.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:28 pm

I agree with Erin and Amanda on the complications and social interaction. My 31 weeker is SO outgoing, but she has sensory integration disorder and groups of people freak her out sensory wise. Once she adjusts to the crowd she opens up and you can't shut her up!!

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:06 pm

quote:Originally posted by deerhart

Perhaps the issue is not so much prematurity but rather any conditions the child may have due to prematurity and parenting of a premature child (where we tend to keep them away from people for their health etc..) then so much as it just makes them shy.

My thoughts exactly.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 am

Mason was watching the US Olympic gymnastic trials and picking out girls to marry!

Perhaps the issue is not so much prematurity but rather any conditions the child may have due to prematurity and parenting of a premature child (where we tend to keep them away from people for their health etc..) then so much as it just makes them shy.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 am

DD: Jaidyn, 30 weeker - is soooo shy that I think she's making up for all of those preemies that aren't.
But recently while we were having girl talk in the car, she mentioned she wanted to marry Derek (old school pal of her's) and she wanted to "try for a girl" (when asked about being a mommy). Too cute!
So there goes that part of their findings. ;o)

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 09:05 am

My 28 weeker is definitely NOT shy. He's the class clown.

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Fri Jul 18, 2008 07:09 am

A lot of the kids in my MOT (Mother of Twins) group are preemies and while some are shy, most are not. I have a friend that was a 31 weeker (40 years ago) and she is married with 2 kids.

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Fri Jul 18, 2008 04:08 am

Hmmmm ... my niece (33-weeker) is definately shy. But DS (34-weeker) is more of a clown - he loves making people laugh and doesn't seem shy at all.

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Preemies Grow Up Shy?

Postby rosemary » Fri Jul 18, 2008 00:40 am

Return to “Parents of Preemies”