1st birthday coming up in August

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
hhbeachgurl

Re : 1st birthday coming up in August

Postby hhbeachgurl » Mon Sep 22, 638302 7:44 pm

Oh yes! Those were my feelings exactly. Although since I was diagnosed 6 weeks before delievery I started reliving things in JAn. But when March came around I was so happy to have her here and us both relatively healthy, but the emotions, and te flash backs I had were increadiable. HUGS to you

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Mon Sep 22, 638302 12:23 am

My son is 4 and I got choked up this year when I dropped him off at school on his birthday. He was not in NICU, but had some difficulty breathing at birth. Very minor problem, but scary and memorable nonetheless. I dropped him off and watched him playing for a minute and my mind flashed back to his wimpy little cry at birth and how they whisked him out of the room trying to get his lungs working right. Quite a different picture from the little boy running and climbing on the playground.

I imagine that our kids' birthdays will always bring back memories of their original birthday. As the years pass, I'm sure it gets easier...

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Sun Sep 21, 638302 9:45 pm

Big hugs go out to you hun :hug:!

I was in the same state of mind back in June when Gabrielle turned one (she was a 29 wker too). It was a pretty stress filled day with a lot of emotions. I think the worst for it was when the sang Happy Birthday--I just started to tear up and couldn't sing. Gabrielle just looked at me w/sad eyes like whats wrong? LOL! Just take a deep breath take lots and lots of pictures cause the day will go fast and think how blessed you are for having such a happy, healthy peanut!

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Tue Sep 09, 638302 9:29 am

I am sitting here thinking the same thing.  My twins will be 1 in 7 days.  I was thinking "last year at this time I had no concerns about pre-e.......had barely heard about it."  I had no idea how quickly things were going to change.  I find myself getting very emotional thinking over the past year.....especially when I look at the pictures right after they were born.  They look so small and fragile.  I can't believe they are about to turn 1.

Sheri

onesock

Postby onesock » Mon Sep 08, 638302 4:12 pm

Absolutely....and it has been nine years!!!!

colesmommy

Postby colesmommy » Mon Sep 08, 638302 1:36 pm

Not that I want to have company on this particular issue, it is very reassuring to know that I am not alone. It feels so strange to have such deep conflicting emotions.

Kara-it is hard to believe that he is going to be one. I know people say that when you have a baby, the time flies, but I don't think you ever truly understand until you have a child. We actually took him today to have his first hair cut!

Jennifer-I was actually just thinking to myself that the day that DH and I went to the movies was the last day of our "normal" life and we didn't even know it.

jen44

Postby jen44 » Mon Sep 08, 638302 1:11 pm

I experience a similar batch of feelings on my son's birthdays as well - and he was a robust 36 weeker - nevertheless - I think I see his birth as the day I "lost" my old self and became the new neurotic, anxious, PTSD me and it makes me sad this anniversary. While I am endlessly grateful and blessed with each year I get to spend with him, I still find myself replaying that scary day over and over when he was born although it does get easier as the years go by. We are not alone, I would gather most all mothers who experience a traumatic birth of their child go through these conflicting emotions.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sat Aug 30, 638302 4:15 pm

Oh yes! I went through the exact same scenario. It's completely, completely normal. And while it gets better as they get older, it hasn't gone away. i still get teary eyed and emotional about it, even though I'm thrilled to be celebrating. You are in good company here....you;ll find most, if not all of us have gone through the very same thing. Hugs! And I can hardly believe he's going to be one!!! YAY!

colesmommy

1st birthday coming up in August

Postby colesmommy » Sat Aug 30, 638302 3:41 pm

Just wondering if I am having normal feelings or not. I tend to get very emotional on the anniversaries of things-like when I lost my mom and then when I lost my brother.

Now that DS's 1st birthday is coming up in August, I am very excited that he is doing well and that we can plan a birthday party. However, as I think about his birthday, I find myself thinking about what happened the two days leading up to his birth. DH and I went to the movies on a Sunday, had a doctor's appointment the next day on Monday morning, was sent to L&D that same Monday morning, was admitted Monday with talks of emergency delivery at midnight, and was then changed to Wednesday morning, and then since I got worse overnight, was changed to Tuesday at lunch. I keep going through in my mind what happened that day prior to his birth and that morning. Of course, with all that happened, it was very traumatic, and I am just crying my eyes out.

I am just wondering if anyone else experienced this same thing with the first birthday, and how did you deal with it? It's not that I am thinking about it constantly, but when I do think about it, I do cry and get upset when I think about what happened.

More than anything, I just want to see if anyone else has/had the conflicting emotions of being extremely happy/grateful about your DC having a first birthday, yet upset when thinking about the birth process and the NICU.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”