Preschool

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
christine lyn

Re : Preschool

Postby christine lyn » Mon Jul 08, 638312 3:50 am

My son started preschool at 3 and I was worried about him being attached to me but instead he was on the first day like bye mom....but coming home was a different story I had to drag him out, wasn't fun. That went on for a few weeks of having to pick him up and carry him out of school screaming. Second year of preschool and loves it.

panguitch02

Postby panguitch02 » Thu Jan 04, 638312 2:35 am

That is great news.

sj

Postby sj » Thu Jan 04, 638312 2:20 am

Just an update.... Yesterday he did not throw up or cry. In fact he asked me to take him to school in the morning. Let's see how it goes.....

sj

Postby sj » Wed Oct 25, 638311 10:58 pm

Thank you for your responses. My son still throws up but he is quiet and participates once I have left the class. I definitely think i make it worse by staying around but it is hard to let go. It's one of those things where you know it's bad but you cannot resist.
Anyway I am going to give it till the end of the month and if he continues throwing up I will pull him out.

patty

Postby patty » Sat Oct 14, 638311 10:02 pm

Having worked before in daycare I can honestly say that 2 is the absolute hardest age for kids to adjust who have always stayed at home. They do better separating and are more social at 3 and 4 years old. Of course it depends on the child. But unless it is a necessity I don't think it will hurt to wait a year until he seems more ready. If you really want to stick it out then I would leave right away when I dropped him off. Often, it just prolongs a childs reaction and time crying waiting for their parent to leave.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Oct 03, 638311 8:38 am

Avery is the same age and also 26 pounds and a smidge shorter than your little guy. She started daycare/preschool at 18 months. It wasn't a joyous occassion for her - lots of crying. But she has grown to absolutely LOVE preschool. I think starting her when we did made it a bit easier. As they get older, they are even more aware that they aren't in their normal surroundings. That being said, all kids take time to adjust. He will get used to the fact that you come back every afternoon to pick him up, and he'll continue to have more fun.

The throwing up is just because he's crying so hard. He's probably not loosing that much food. Can you feed him a bit earlier so that he has less to throw up? As he gets more comfortable, the crying and throwing up will get less. Some kids find out the throwing up thing is a big deal and will make themselves throw up to get their way, so just make sure he doesn't know that it bothers you. ;-)

I would see about spending part of the day at school with him for one day, so he knows that it's a good and safe place to play (perhaps you can leave at snack time or something). After that it's best to drop him off with a kiss, tell him to have fun and that you will be back in a little while to take him home, and then GO! The longer you stay around trying to comfort him as you head out the door, the more anxiety builds in him and makes it worse. They feed off our emotions whether we know it or not. If we are feeling nervous or uncertain, they will feel the same way.

Talk to him outside of school and before school in the mornings so he knows what to expect of the day. "We're going to "school" (or whatever you call it) today. You are going to have soooo much fun playing with your new friends (insert names). (Insert teacher name) is SOOO nice."

Tell him what you will be doing while he's playing, and that you will be back in 4 hours to pick him up and take him home.

Many kids preemie or not go to daycare/preschool...some from the very beginning. He is old enough to go and be with other kids, learn how to socialize and have fun. He just misses his mommy and this is a big adjustment. Preschools and daycares (assuming this is a trusted one) know exactly how to handle these situations. It may take a couple of weeks before it gets better, and much longer than that for him to be tear-free.

I say stick it out, continue to reassure him that it's a safe and fun place to play and talk it up and remind him that mommy will be picking him up to take him home.

Good luck!

onesock

Postby onesock » Tue Oct 03, 638311 6:19 am

I didn't send my son to preschool until he was almost 4...I just didn't think he was ready. I didn't want school to be a scary thing for him or something that he really did not enjoy later on in life because of a bad experience. I AM over protective when it comes to things like this and a SAHM. I always just kind of let my kids lead and give me clues and indicators as to when they were ready and when they weren't. Maybe it is too soon..? If the crying starts to slow down or stops almost immeadiately after you walk out the door, then he could just not want to be separated from you, but if it goes on for quite some time and does not get progressively better over time, he may just not be ready. He will enjoy it more (and so will you) when he is comfortable with it. HTH. Good luck :)

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Mon Oct 02, 638311 11:55 pm

Your experience sounds like my Jacob's first few weeks of preschool. Is your son throwing up because he's crying so much? That is what caused it with Jacob and I have to say it really didn't stop until about three weeks in. He was going two days a week then.

I completely understand your feeding concerns. My Jacob was 1 lb 6 oz at birth and just now at 4 years old has passed 30 lbs. I know you don't want him to lose any weight and I agree it cannot be good for you to throw up often. My son's preschool offered me the option of staying for the beginning of class which definitely helped Jacob settle into the routine and be comfortable in his new surroundings. He would still get upset and throw up on at least one of the two days per week, but once he understood that I was coming back and he realized he was having fun, he seemed to stop (and I reasoned he stopped throwing up b/c he stopped crying so hard when I left).

My only other suggestion is maybe try feeding him earlier in the morning? I know easier said than done and often impossible, but I did find that Jacob was less likely to throw up as much or at all if he hadn't eaten in the past hour. We went through the crying/throwing up thing at home, too, when we were trying to transition him to his crib and not putting him to bed already asleep.

Being on the other end now, it did get easier for us and I'm glad I kept Jacob in school. He really benefited from the peer modeling for eating and social skills (though other not so good stuff came with that, too). It probably took almost a year of preschool before he didn't get a little bit weepy that I was leaving, but as soon as I was out of his line of vision, he was happily playing with someone. Now, he doesn't want to come home with me!

We did end up going through feeding therapy that made a huge difference in our lives and part of Jacob's size (tall and thin) is just his genetic makeup, but I always took some comfort in what his ped would show me at every checkup - Jacob wasn't on the chart, but he had his own consistent growth curve (until we hit a plateau that prompted the medical feeding therapy).

sj

Preschool

Postby sj » Mon Oct 02, 638311 9:13 pm

My son started preschool last week, I decided to delay it by a month because I felt all the other kids would have settled down by October and that would help. His first day went great he actually played and enjoyed but his second and third day he threw up along with lots of crying which died down by mid-class. He was still not participating and looked very sad. He only goes for morning sessions but my concern is his throwing up. If he only cried I would be fine but he is a poor eater to begin with and this would mean he would only get 2 whole meals.Apart from that I don't believe throwing is good for you. He was born in November so he gets 3 years of preschool anyways.
So my question is how long should I try this out? I know it is my decision but I am trying to get some idea of how long this will continue and if anybody had this experience.

P.S He is barely on the chart about 26.5 pounds and 36 inches tall at 2 years 10 months; he was a micro preemie born at 1 lb 15 ounce.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”