Post Reply FAQ Members Login

breastfeeding problems

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

breastfeeding problems

Postby jjbeck1 » Sun May 02, 2004 09:02 pm

Hi all. Since Ava has been home she has been on a hi cal formula for her wt and sugar. I was told to hold off on nursing until her sugar was normal for a certain amount of time. It was taking too much energy for her to nurse. Then I realized my milk supply is not that great at this point. So I pump and mix the milk with her formula. I give it to her in a bottle, sometimes I fingerfeed her if she tires too easily from the bottle. This works well, but I get anxious not being able to nurse knowing if she gets enough or not. I also get aniox when I pump...worried that my supply will not come in completly. I have a hospital grade pump and am pumpin every 2 to 3 hours. I have gotten some tea with fenugreek. I also got a bunch of gatorade. I have been so exhausted I thing from dehydration. I drink all day but feel thirsty all of the time. It seems as though I am perspiring nonstop...especially during sleep hours. I wake up drenched, dry off only to wake up wet again about an hour later.
Any nursing advise for this worried new mommy?

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04

http://babygirl.aokwebhost4free.com
jjbeck1

Re : breastfeeding problems

Postby angelkat » Mon May 03, 2004 04:13 am

Jen...
Just wanted to give you a HUGE Hug. The only advise I could give is maybe try drinking water. It might help with the thirsty feeling. I was told and also drank Root Beer which helps in producing more milk.

Sleep is also very important when it comes to BFing.

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)
Ky (11)
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) & Casey (EDD 09/10 or 09/11-Sure he will be here in Aug)
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby meg » Mon May 03, 2004 06:05 am

The nights sweats will stop soon, its very normal after a PE pregnancy! COntinue to pump every 2-3 hours ( really try not to go more than 4 at night even if you are exhusted!) Drink 64 ounces of water a day at the very minimum. Lastly, taking Fengreek capsules is much better than the tea. Take 3 capsules 3 times a day for a few days and then gradually wean down off them. ALso, eating oatmeal is really good for supply.
Oh, and try to relax ( easier said than done huh?) but it really does help!! Good luck! Sounds like you are off to a great start!

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27.5 weeks weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Now 2 lb 9 ounces and already out of NICU ( but still in hospital)
meg

Postby mada » Mon May 03, 2004 06:37 am

Hey Jen,
On the "After you baby is born" forum There is a sticky on nursing. Lots of info there. Goodluck!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon May 03, 2004 07:24 am

Hang in there if you can.
I would not worry about your supply too much. You are with her now, and pumping arduously. You can see smell and touch her.

You can always boost your supply later.
You are doing great!!
you should pat yourself on the back!!

Mixing pumped milk w/ formula is wonderful too. That is what I did 99% of the time.
I know how exhausted you are!!

Maybe you coulos give yourself a break at night and then when she gets into it, do the supply and demand thing.

No matter what happens, even if you decide to stop nursing altogether, you should really feel a great sense of accomplishment for all that you have done.
I am proud of you!
Love, jennifer

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby iansmom » Tue May 04, 2004 02:09 pm

I think you are doing GREAT! The most important times to pump are between midnight and 6 am so keep up the good work. I don't know any specific websites, but I remember sevral pumping moms websites and chat groups. Look around.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
#2 EDD July 15, 2004
iansmom

Postby pugmommy7 » Wed May 05, 2004 07:45 pm

wow that midnight and 6 thing is great to know. i'll have to remember that with this newbie!
love,
J

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby mamasboys » Wed May 26, 2004 07:10 pm

how is everything going now??

my son was born at 33 weeks. i had planned on nursing him but as soon as he was born the stupid nurses gave him a bottle with formula and he spit it all up so they waited until the next day to feed him again. by then i was awake enough to know what was going on and i pumped at night and in the morning i brought break milk which he kept down. i pump ever 2-3 hours around the clock for the 2 weeks he was in the hospital and for another 2-3 weeks when he got home. i really wanted to get him on the breast but it was hard since he was so small and only had a bottle. it took 3 days. i took advice from some ladies at breastfeeding.com and gradually just stopped giving him the bottle at each feed. on the first day i would wait until he was really hungry and try with the breast first when he wouldn't take it after about 5 min i gave him the bottle i did this all day adding min as the day went by. on the second day i only offered the breast. he didn't take it real well for a few hours but after that when he was hungry he did. on the third day he was nursing! he never wanted a bottle again after that and went straight to a sippy cut at 7 months. he's still nursing! good luck! i hope everything works out email me if you would like any advice! xoxo

mommy to-
Jayden Mitchell 9/25/02 (still nursing)
born at 33 weeks due to severe preeclampsia
Little Peanut edd:12/7/04
xoxo, Tiffany Dawn
mamasboys

Return to Parents of Preemies