this isn't normal right?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
hhbeachgurl

Re : this isn't normal right?

Postby hhbeachgurl » Sat May 01, 638315 3:05 pm

Thanks yall. I have been trying to tell her when she thinks something is dirty, I will sipe it off and so no, all clean....and that seems to help some. My OCD is not really bad with germs.....I have a hard time with hotel rooms but other then that mine is with counting and things like that.

We just moved so I have to find a new ped, but when I do I will talk to them and just get some thouhts. She also gets upset when we go out to the car and it has rained and it has water on it. "Car wawa dirty" Aggh.....I have been trying to tell her that the wawa on the car is good.

I'll keep yall posted. Thanks again!

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Tue Apr 20, 638315 1:50 am

Personally I would go talk to a ped about it, especially given you have OCD yourself, perhaps someone could intervene to help reverse it or stop it in its track? Now I dont say this to sound mean or anything but has she seen you dealing with your OCD? Kids pick up the simplest things that we do even if we dont realize we are even doing them.

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Tue Feb 23, 638315 5:46 am

We are having some of those same type of issues (not to do with cleanliness but with fear of dying) with Carly. I tried to convince myself it was a phase. After waiting for a year for the phase to go away it never did. I have had major depressiona nd generalized anxiety most of my life and I also fear I passed this on to her. I finally sought out some help and we are about to start Carly in "play therapy" which is supposed to help her tremendously. We shall see if it works or not but I know I certainly felt better after talking to a professional about it. If you are worried I would certainly bring it up. I was told by the therapists that although we pass on these genetic tendencies we do not pass on the disorders themselves and that if we can sometimes control or resolve the behaviors earlier in our childrens lives we may save them from facing the disorders later. I know this must be nerve wracking for you- (((HUGS)))

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Mon Feb 22, 638315 7:38 pm

I think the fact you have OCD warrants a trip to the ped - I'd want a professional to reassure me it's just a phase, rather than something you might want to keep a closer eye on.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Mon Feb 22, 638315 6:54 pm

It's really hard to day if it is abnormal with her being so young. All toddlers have extreme reactions to something. At some point she connected dirty to really bad. Most kids get over it -but some go for years not wanting the slightest dirt/wet on thier hands, clothes etc. Hopefully you can teach her how things can be clean or even avoid that word and say all better or OK again. Like when the sweater dries, say look the sweater is all better now. Kids only larn how to cope if taught - and toddlers rally don't get time, permanance, impermanance etc.

How the people around her react to dirty, broken etc. will also help her get past this.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Mon Feb 22, 638315 4:03 pm

I have similar issues with Natalia too, it can be very extreme at times as well.

Though if you feel it's something more than a normal phase of toddlerhood- I would recommend telling your ped about it.
Sometimes having a trained eye reassure you can bring you more at ease.

Sending my best, Jenn

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Feb 22, 638315 2:10 pm

Well, it's normal if she were my daughter. :-) No help, I know. We went through a phase like that. If she sees a dog hair on her teddy bear, it's a problem. she no longer breaks down, but insists the problem be dealt with, and cried if her favorite stuffed animals have to go in the washer or something.

I would talk to your Pedi about it. Hopefully just a stage though.

I just always assure and reassure that it's "ok", dirt is normal and we can wash it/dry it/fix it, etc...and then it willbe all better. Takes some time to accomplish though.

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Sun Feb 21, 638315 9:44 am

She also gets like this when something is broken. My mom had a staute of a little teddy bear and his ear was broken and she was so upset by this that we had to hide it....whenever anything is broken or not quite right she gets like this.

hhbeachgurl

this isn't normal right?

Postby hhbeachgurl » Sun Feb 21, 638315 9:37 am

Okay, so Ansley is 20 months now and for the past month she gets VERY upset when she thinks something is dirty....i mean to the point of crying and backing away and saying it over and over and over ...a few examples....

She spilled water on a teddy and stared crying it was dirty and backed away. i dried it off and she cried and cried saying "dirty, dirty, teddy wawa dirty" well after a few minutes where she would not come near it and crying like this I asked her if she wanted me to put it up. She said yes, so I hid him....well that was like early morning. I pulled him out that night and it started all over again "dirty dirty dirty" and tears.

If she spills something on her clothes, she starts crying "dirty dirty and will not stop until I take it off of her. even if it is just water. I waited till her sweater was dry the other day and tried to put it back on her and she cried "dirty dirty"

When she is crying about it she actually sounds really distressed....And we cant say the word dirty because if you say "lets wipe your hands cause their dirty" well all heck breaks lose and you can't take her hands off know what I mean.

Seriously this happens multiple times a day.

So this seem strange to me. I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but not really about germs and stuff, but mine has been pretty bad on other stuff without meds...could this be an early manifestation of it.

I mean it just doesn't feel normal to me. I mean if something even has the tinest speck of something on it its dirty and she wont touch it...I mean actuvely walks in a huge circle away from it or just backs away like she is scared.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”